Notifications auto-"clearing"

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by mpavilion, Oct 28, 2014.

1. mpavilion macrumors 6502a

For apps like the stock Mail app, if you have a new-message notification sitting in the NC, and you read the message by opening the app itself (i.e., you do not click thru the notification), the notification disappears... as it should. You've viewed the event being notified; you don't need the notification any longer.

But the Gmail and Google (Now) apps don't behave this way. Unless you click on the notification to view the event, the notification keeps still sitting there until you manually delete it... the system doesn't "know" that you've already viewed the message (or dismissed the Google Now card) in the app itself.

Is this the case with all 3rd-party apps, and thus an iOS limitation -- or something that Google could fix? I've tried testing it out with other 3rd-party apps (the few I use), but can't tell for sure.

(If the latter, it's ironic, considering that all Android notifications behave the "correct" way.)

Thx

2. heathpitts macrumors member

Twitter works the "correct" way so I don't think it is all third party apps

3. jamiebrown6 macrumors member

Twitter doesn't work like that for me unfortunately. I have to go in and 'read' the notification in the app to clear the badge.

The badge notification for Twitter is even off in Settings - a separate issue (bug).

The issue mentioned here though is likely due to the way background refresh works. Clearing the notification form the NC will not mark the notification as read for any third party app as far as I can see as it'd have to open and connect the app each time this occurs, possibly using extra battery. In Apple apps like mail, it does as you point out fortunately.

4. heathpitts macrumors member

5. crookadile macrumors regular

I too have to read the notification to clear the badge.
    Twitter is definitely buggy. I don't even have the badge notification slider in settings on both my phone and iPad.