Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newellj

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I have driven myself nearly crazy trying to fix this - since I updated to iOS 11.2.2, I cannot get mail or messages to either show on the lock screen or to make a sound or taptic alert. These all worked perfectly on 11.2.1, and nothing I've been able to do in Settings (including turning off and on, doing what we used to call a two-button reset, etc.) will get them working. Notifications do work if the phone isn't locked, but once it's locked it's totally silent on notifications (nothing on the screen, no sound/vibe). All the correct settings are turned on: show on lock screen, show in history, show as banners). Sound settings are set to vibrate on silent. DND is turned off.

Does anyone else have the same problem?

Does anyone have a solution? I can't go back to 11.2.1 without losing messages, health, workout data since the update, obviously, which I don't want to lose.

Vexed, would appreciate someone with the magic bullet...

Banglazed

macrumors 601
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
Are you using cellular or WiFi?

At times, apps may depend on network connectivity to push notification onto the device. You can try Settings>General>Reset>Reset Network Settings - this may delete all saved network as a first step. Then, try text yourself real quick and lock the device to see if you will receive a notification. If all fails, you may have to reset all settings.

newellj

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I have tried both cell and wifi only, no difference. I have also reset all settings, which was highly destructive in terms of the information in Settings (nearly everything gets wiped). That also made no difference, so I restored the backup I'd made immediately before.

There are threads at the Apple support communities on this and there have been no answers beyond things I've tried without success.

I don't know if this is useful diagnostically, but it's weird: my Watch is still receiving notifications. So something's wrong with how iOS is processing the notification on the phone.

I am really puzzled by the fact that notifications work as expected if the phone is unlocked. It's like the setting to show on lock screen has no effect.

Last edited:

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
Go to notifications in the settings. Disable the banner notifications for texts and remove the widget from the notification screen. Restart your phone and reenable. Let me know if that works.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Go to notifications in the settings. Disable the banner notifications for texts and remove the widget from the notification screen. Restart your phone and reenable. Let me know if that works.
What widget?

newellj

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
No luck.

But here's more data.

I backed up the 8, then wiped the 7 (again) with a DFU to 11.2.2. Restored the backup from the 8 (in other words, all settings and data) to the 7.

The 8 is not giving either banners or vibe alerts on the lock screen. -> The 7, with the 8's backup restored to it, *is* showing banners and vibe alerts on the lock screen. <- Logically, that means that whatever is not working on the 8 is not how the settings are set.

It makes me wonder whether there's a hardware fault in the 8. System haptics work, though, so I doubt that. And the banner issue shouldn't be related to hardware.

Last edited:

Novecento

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2011
Same problem on my iPhone 8 Plus. Tried disabling and re-enabling notifications but I don't get banner notifications any more. Sometimes I just feel the device vibrating and then when I check the usual suspect apps I have a new message, email or whatnot waiting for me.
Happens both on cellular as well as on wifi. iOS 11.2.2

newellj

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Same problem on my iPhone 8 Plus. Tried disabling and re-enabling notifications but I don't get banner notifications any more. Sometimes I just feel the device vibrating and then when I check the usual suspect apps I have a new message, email or whatnot waiting for me.
Happens both on cellular as well as on wifi. iOS 11.2.2

In addition to the oddity that my 7 "works" and my 8 doesn't is the fact that the 8 "worked" until 11.2.2. In other words, it was fine on 11.2.1 and prior. And the exact settings that don't work on the 8 do work on the 7.

newellj

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Still working on this.

I think it's related to my Apple Watch. I'm going to play around with notification settings and see if I can fix this.

I'm also going to try pairing the Watch with my 7. If that breaks notifications on the 7, I guess the answer is that it's a bug in how iOS 11 interacts with wOS 4.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Still working on this.

I think it's related to my Apple Watch. I'm going to play around with notification settings and see if I can fix this.

I'm also going to try pairing the Watch with my 7. If that breaks notifications on the 7, I guess the answer is that it's a bug in how iOS 11 interacts with wOS 4.

You probably should have mentioned you have an Apple Watch up front. The iPhone will never make a sound if your Apple Watch is connected. That’s the entire point. Notifications go to the wrist, not the phone.

Rereading your OP. This is exactly how it should work.

newellj

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
You probably should have mentioned you have an Apple Watch up front. The iPhone will never make a sound if your Apple Watch is connected. That’s the entire point. Notifications go to the wrist, not the phone.

Rereading your OP. This is exactly how it should work.

Except that through 11.2.1 I -did- get lock screen notifications (sound/vibe and banners) on the phone. That changed with 11.2.2.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Except that through 11.2.1 I -did- get lock screen notifications (sound/vibe and banners) on the phone. That changed with 11.2.2.
You shouldn’t have. Maybe the notification, but definitely no sound or vibration. It’s been that way since the watch came out.

newellj

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I do now have this running on the 7, not exactly as it originally worked and not at all as was happening with the 8.

With the 8, no settings changes (including turning off all Watch notifications) would get the phone to sound/vibe or show a banner on the lock screen.

With the 7, I can once again get sound/vibe and banners on the lock screen, but Watch notifications have to be turned off (that is to say, unselect "mirror my phone" and turn off alerts in the custom section).

I would rather have what it used to do - buzz the watch and the phone, with banners, but between the watch and the phone I prefer the phone, as long as both are with me, because the taptic engine is much more noticeable, so this is workable.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.