Notifications coming all at once when iPad unlocked

Discussion in 'iPad' started by i0Nic, Nov 16, 2011.

1. i0Nic macrumors 65816

Hey guys,

I've had this issue since upgrading to iOS 5 on my iPad.
    When I unlock my iPad, I get a bunch of notifications and alerts come in at once. Why haven't these notifications been pushed when they occur like with my iPhone?

It's annoying to get a bunch of beeps and alerts when I unlock my iPad. Is this happening for anyone else?

2. shandyman Suspended

This only happens when you have the smart cover on, it's designed this way since if it was the normal way, you would have missed them. If you don't have a smart cover on and you have it locked the normal way, you'd get the notifications the way you would on the iPhone.

3. Ole'schooliBook macrumors member

I noticed this peculiarity as well...I'm glad there's some clarification. I like the intuitiveness of recognizing the smart cover. Unlike the iPhone, you don't carry the iPad around in such a mobile way that you would automatically respond to an aural notification like you would with a phone. Good on Apple for making the distinction.

4. i0Nic thread starter macrumors 65816

Does anyone else have this problem?

To clarify..
    On my iPhone, I get push notifications normally. Ie, I receive an app notification and I hear a sound and my screen lights up showing the notification. I receive all notifications as they come in.

However on my iPad, this only happens sporadically. What usually happens is that I don't receive these notifications as they come in, but when I unlock my iPad I get a sudden rush of notifications for the past 24hrs or however long it's been since I used my iPad last.

This never used to happen on my iPad 1 with iOS 4.

Any more comments or suggestions? Surely this isn't the way notifications in iOS 5 are supposed to work on iPad?

5. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Do you have a wifi iPad or a 3G one? iOS devices disconnect from wifi when they go to sleep so a wifi iPad doesn't have an Internet connection during this time, so it doesn't get the notifications until you pick it up and start using it again.

6. donnaw macrumors 65816

My notifications are hit and miss. I don't have a smart cover. I do have a 3G but the cell data is turned off when I'm at home. Sometimes my iPad wakes up and shows notifications and sometimes it waits until I actually push the Home button and slide the unlock. I don't have a password set.

I can't identify any rhyme or reason, it happens with all my email accounts. I don't have any pop accounts. It's pretty weird.

7. shandyman Suspended

If cell data is turned off it relies on wifi and so notifications will be dependant on if wifi has disconnected whilst it's locked for power savibg

8. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Do you have the notifications for those apps set to show on the lock screen?

I think that if you have notifications that aren't set to show on the lock screen then they will wait until you unlock the device.