Notifications feel like a last minute bolt on

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cod3rror, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

At least that's the feeling I get about them, they don't feel "integrated" into iOS, the Notification Center menu appears out of nowhere, I wish you could actually pull down the Status bar, to make it feel like a drawer, like something(notifications) is hiding behind it.

For full screen apps like games say, when you'd swipe down, the status bar would "pop up" there would be a pop up/on effect and then they'd drag it down.

The animations going from notifications to apps feel, well, there are no animations at all, there are animations for multitasking IMO there should be for going to apps from notifications too.

They could've also used this new menu to implement some features into into it, like:

-SBSettings toggles

-Spotlight search - IMO it would make spotlight search very useful cause it'd be available from basically anywhere

-Even multitasking bar itself so you wouldn't have to wear out the home button by double tapping it all the time.

They could've put a lot of functionality in this quickly accessible menu.

Of course with an option to disable/hide all the above if you don't prefer it that way.

It would be something like this...

[​IMG]

Notifications, as they are now, really feel like a bolt on to me TBH, like it was a last minute job.

2. Small White Car, Jun 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2011

Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Nah. That'd turn a 'notification center' into a 'junk drawer.'

We've waited so long for a notification center. Don't ruin it.

3. PorterRocks macrumors 6502

PorterRocks

Ok

But seriously, you know iOS 5 is only in beta right now, right? No one knows exactly how iOS 5 will be in the public release. Who knows what kind of changes will be implemented in that time.

4. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 47 years ago
    We must count small blessings:

I was worried that Apple would make us quadruple-click the Home button to see notifications... just so iOS wouldn't look like any other mobile OS.

:)

5. Cod3rror thread starter macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

You guys can ridicule me all you want, but what I'm suggesting does make sense.

Spotlight should be in that menu.

Toggles should be there.

Animations need to be added.

6. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Ok.

Except you would only be able to access the notifications when you're at the home screen. Any brighter ideas?

7. nefan65 macrumors 65816

nefan65

Trouble is, that's "your opinion". And with that, I'm sure thousands of others have their opinions of what it should be, and why...

I'm not saying it's perfect, but it's a start. Give it a chance, and see what happens. Like others have said, it's still BETA. Plus 5.0 isn't that last release. They could add/enhance with a .1 release shortly after the initial rollout.

8. Cod3rror thread starter macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

You can access notifications from anywhere in iOS, any application, any place.

That's why it would be a good place for Spotlight.

Right now, if you're in an app, you have to press the home button, and swipe a few pages, or press the home button couple of more times to access spotlight. If it was implemented into the pull down menu, you'd be able to access it in a single swipe.

9. PhoneI macrumors 68000

I do not want toggles or spotlight in my notification center. After all, they are not notifications

10. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

How often do you use spotlight that you need instant access to it all the time?

+1

11. Cod3rror thread starter macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

People don't use spotlight because you'll access whatever you're looking for faster than going to spotlight.

12. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

Or they just really don't have a need to search a phone that keeps all your stuff organized.... :confused:

The only times I have ever used spotlight is maybe to search for an email once or twice and probably about 10 times in the last year to find a particular song.

13. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

I'm jailbroken and the way I have LockInfo and SBSettings makes more sense using Activator app.

Swipe right on statusbar - Settings come down

Swipe down on statusbar - Notifications come down

I've even added swipe left on statusbar - Brings up camera

As far as multi-tasking and double clicking home button, I've changed that to swipe up from the bottom of the screen and the multitasking bar comes up. Looks more natural as well.

14. ani23, Jun 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2011

ani23 macrumors 6502

Same here. Maybe it's a different way of getting to something but almost never used spotlight.

Also I think stock quotes n weather in notifications is dumb.

15. budgynana macrumors member

Ditto on the notifications being notifications.

I don't particular like this notification system or mobile notifier which probably inspired it... but in anycase, if it's meant for notifications then that's all that should be there. stocks and weather are technically notifications... and so would things like rss feeds.

Vitruviux, i'm not agreeing or disagreeing with your idea but it would have to be called something else. it/they categorically cannot be labelled as notifications.

16. Faux Carnival macrumors 6502a

17. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

People: iOS notifications suck!
    Apple: Welcome to WWDC, We've revamped notifications for you!
    People: The new notifications suck!

Some of you are never satisfied in the least.

18. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

The notifications will be refined, just like multitasking was, over the course of the beta. They did about as good as they could do with them. Outside of notification icons in the status bar, which was never going to happen, and themes, I'm not sure what else you expected. Apple will never do anything that clutters up a device. This is exactly what you'd expect from them.

19. macbwizard macrumors 6502

macbwizard

Seriously... When I saw the notifications my jaw dropped. What an amazing improvement. I honestly don't know what the complainers would have wanted in its place.

20. Daiden macrumors 6502a

Daiden

It makes sense... to you. There's a big difference.

21. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 47 years ago
    Doesn't matter to me, but Spotlight would make more sense than the way Apple slapped the weather and stock widgets in there.

Absolutely, or at least an option for them. It's extremely handy to have WiFi, GPS, backlight, orientation-lock, etc always available.

It's one of the little things that you miss on any device that doesn't have it.