Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 16, 2003
UK
Given that the touch bar is OLED, wouldn't it be more efficient for notifications to appear there when the screen is off?

groove-agent

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2006
I often thought that they should augment the touch bar with notifications. Maybe a stock ticker, MR news, incoming messages ... anything that might appear in the notification area would add value to the touch bar. Maybe then more people would appreciate it.

LarrySmith

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2017
I often thought that they should augment the touch bar with notifications. Maybe a stock ticker, MR news, incoming messages ... anything that might appear in the notification area would add value to the touch bar. Maybe then more people would appreciate it.
Should be able to add this via software easily so maybe it'll still come.

Rkuda

macrumors regular
May 23, 2016
Given that the touch bar is OLED, wouldn't it be more efficient for notifications to appear there when the screen is off?

Yeah but how often are you at your computer with the screen off?

I guess anyone could make a ticker if they wanted. Don't expect to see this kind of functionality to come from Apple or be condoned officially though. Touch Bar is about user input and not tickers/notifications.

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 16, 2003
UK
Yeah but how often are you at your computer with the screen off?

When I am listening to music and I don't touch the keyboard or trackpad for a few minutes. Every time the track changes the backlight comes on from one notification.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Its agains Apple design guidelines. They want the Touch Bar to be an input device, not a display. Maybe they will change their mind later on.

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
I kind of like the idea, and I definitely like the idea of doing something with that bar. However it isn't a display, and I'm not looking at it so would miss the notifications...

Can someone not just make a little Mario game for it that I can look down and play for 5 minutes when I get bored?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.