Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Type4O

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 23, 2011
Toronto, Canada
iOS 4.x had an on/off switch that affected all notifications at once.
old-notifications-toggle-258452.png

Has anyone seen this in iOS 5 or is it just the individual app notifications now? -Thanks.

Last edited:

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I think it's gone because, in iOS 4, some apps that notified (Phone, Messages, Calendar, Mail, etc) were "exempt" from the notifications switch and didn't have user definable notifications. Now all apps do, and so presumably almost no one would turn every notification off, since that would mean that badges for new e-mails, voice-mails, etc, would be gone. Although probably there is someone out there who wants just that....

Type4O

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 23, 2011
Toronto, Canada
I think it's gone because, in iOS 4, some apps that notified (Phone, Messages, Calendar, Mail, etc) were "exempt" from the notifications switch and didn't have user definable notifications. Now all apps do, and so presumably almost no one would turn every notification off, since that would mean that badges for new e-mails, voice-mails, etc, would be gone. Although probably there is someone out there who wants just that....

Well, I want just that. I would switch them off when I needed to conserve battery power, or I used my iPhone as an alarm clock (would still want the phone to ring in case of emergency). Think I'll have to start requesting it be put back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.