Notifications on the iPhone.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by scottpuplava, Jun 2, 2010.

1. scottpuplava macrumors newbie

Hello everyone, this is my first post on the macrumors forums. I was wondering, how does everyone feel about the pop-up notifications on the iPhone? My friend has an android phone, and i love the convenience of the pull-down info bar at the top. I am hoping for a new lockscreen, or at least active notifications on the lockscreen.

2. iPhone3Gusr macrumors member

iPhone3Gusr

yeah i hope that we get a new lockscreen or some type of notifications. It just needs more.

3. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

People think it sucks. We all want something better. It looks like Apple won't be doing anything about it until 2011.

I think that about sums it all up.

4. scottpuplava thread starter macrumors newbie

ugh, that's unfortunate. A new notification system would make the iPhone a PERFECT phone for me. Oh well though, I'm still going to have one on launch day regardless. :)

5. hippo206 macrumors 6502

Notifications are the only thing that I wish was improved. For me, the email notifications seem to be so hit and miss. On my work BB, I never miss a email, but on the iphone, sometimes it takes 20-30 min to get emails... which in my line of work is unacceptable.

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Get the app named 'Boxcar,' set it up and then change your phone to check e-mail using Fetch on an hour-schedule.

Now Boxcar will send you a notice when you get new e-mail so you'll know to go manually check it then. I've found BC to work far, far better than the built-in mail program.

You'll always get the notice before the Fetch kicks in. That's there for over-night...you can silence Boxcar while you sleep, but the hour-fetch schedule will put mail badges up over night so you have them in the morning.

7. ChrisGonzales90 macrumors 6502a

ChrisGonzales90

Actully we don't know. We were only given an early look at iPhone OS 4.0. There is still a lot that could have been done to it.

we will see come momday.

8. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I'm placing very, very low odds on this one.

It's not impossible, but I wouldn't get anyone's hopes up. It's unlikely.

Think of all the developers who will be pissed that Apple didn't talk about this last month when the Developers would have had time to better adjust their apps to make use of it. That's what the preview is FOR...so developers have a month to work on their programs to make use of these new features. This would be one they'd want to know about and Apple just hides it from them?

Doesn't make sense.

9. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

I still think we'll see lock screen info exclusive to the new iPhone.

10. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

That one is more possible because it passes my test of "why didn't they tell the developers?" A lock screen doesn't really affect them so it could be kept secret.

But a whole re-working of how notifications work just doesn't seem like something they'd hide.

EDIT: And of course, you could certainly say that "pissing off developers" isn't something Apple is afraid of. So hell, my logic may be worthless.

11. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Maybe developers don't need to do anything to take advantage of a new notification system. How would it necessarily affect third party apps?

12. elephunkman macrumors 65816

They could make email notifications pop out like text messages. Example would be, "Email (2)"

13. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Apps have built their notifications around the knowledge of how they'll be seen. The frequency and amount of info they send is kept small because they don't want to annoy their users. Getting a ton of those blue boxes is annoying, and they know it.

If you were to find out that some new system gave each app its own "page" of notices and you can swipe through them and see them all...or something like that...then you'd be inclined to put more info in the notices your app sends out and you'd be bolder in how frequently they send them.

In other words, you'd want to customize your app to take full advantage of the new setup.

14. ChrisGonzales90 macrumors 6502a

ChrisGonzales90

Your right. But then again don't developers work with apple? I agree it may be a bit late. We may see a slight cosmetic update or an addition to the current notifications.

• Time + date
    • a widget showing all of our notifications
    • Battery life info with the percentage. Battery icon will go from 100-50% green, 50-10% yellow and 10% to dead - red.

15. elephunkman macrumors 65816

Makes sense. I believe the battery percentage indicator was exclusive only to the 3GS.

16. hippo206 macrumors 6502

Wow... will do. Thanks.

17. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Yeah, I'm sure something small will change. Because you're right, THAT won't affect any 3rd party apps.

What we won't see is a dramatic change that makes people here go "wow!" Whatever changes they make are going to have to be minor. I'm strongly betting that "Notifications" will be the big feature in OS 5 the same way that "Multitasking" belongs to 4 and "Cut and Paste" defined OS 3.

They like to pick ONE big thing to focus on for each OS. This one has multitasking. So that's that. It's not gonna get 2 "big things."

18. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

I don't think that's enough to piss any developers off. Everything works as they expected. They can add more notification options in the future.

It just doesn't seem to be very Apple-like to ignore the current problem with the notification system. Especially since they are compounding the problem by adding local notifications.

I think we will see a Notifications App and a slight tweak to the notification display.

19. ChrisGonzales90 macrumors 6502a

ChrisGonzales90

and now a standard on 3.2 for the ipad and 4.0

Good point. 4.0 both the software and the hardware will be a major one. Lots of new features, some have yet to be announced. (Jobs DID say "you won't be disappointed" )

iPhone OS 5.0 may be a minor update, much like 2.0 was.

I do hope they update the color for the notifications. Purple is. meh.... but it may look better once its on a high res screen.

20. bndoarn macrumors 6502a

I agree. Pretty much the only things I want added to the iPhone OS are information on the lock screen and small notification icons in the time bar so you can see if you have something, that doesn't pop up annoyingly, even if your not on the home screen.

The app store was minor? In a way I see what you're saying but in my opinion 2.0 has been one of the best so far.

21. ChrisGonzales90 macrumors 6502a

ChrisGonzales90

That would be ideal. You can even tap the top bar to access a widget that shows you all your notifications. Just slide your finger over them to delete one by one, or hit an icon on the bottom to delete them all (much like mail)

Notification settings can also be easy accessed from this widget. Tap a "wrench" icon and be brought to the settings right away. (no need to go in to the settings and make a few extra taps)

tap a notification and with 4.0s multitasking you can go to the app with out leaving the widget.

22. ChrisGonzales90 macrumors 6502a

ChrisGonzales90

I forgot about the app store. :eek:

may be I should have said 1.0 or 1.1.

23. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I agree with this. If Apple were to implement a new style of notifications that DID require recoding of current apps, it could initially be demonstrated and released using the default apps and the API's released with the next beta (if there is one) or as a seperate package on the 7th.

Doesn't seem too far fetched to me.

24. bndoarn macrumors 6502a

Yea. And you could be able to select which apps to display a notification on the time bar so it doesn't get filled with them, kind of like you can now with badges, sounds, and pop-ups.