Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kidtriton

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2011
I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something here, but is there not a way to get a text or email notification on both the watch and phone at the same time? Are phone calls the only thing that will buzz/sound/show on the screen at the same time?

I really wish I could get text and email notifications on both, like if I'm at work with my phone laying on the desk in sight I used to hear the buzz and glance over at the phone to see the preview on the screen and then decide whether to respond now or not. With the watch notification on the phone never vibrates or lights up the screen, so some days I actually turn the notifications to the watch off, is there not a way to have it on both? Why do they offer it on both at the same time for phone calls but not for anything else, or am I missing something here?

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
Apple's philosophy is (and one that I agree with), you should use a device that is the most appropriate to get the job done. For notifications, that will be the watch (since it does notifications better than the iPhone). If you have your iPhone unlocked, for instance, you won't get any notifications on the Watch (since you're already using your iPhone). I don't see a point in sending notifications to both devices and have it cluttered up. But maybe they will change that in a future update?

For phone calls, it's a toss up betwen the iPhone, the Watch or the mac. In this case, since the Watch isn't too good at private phone calls, Apple gives you a choice.

Lam7r

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2015
There is a way to do it as I did it this way so I get notifications on watch when driving and using tomtom on the phone. However some functionality is lost.
Turn off wrist detection. With this off all notifications will be sent to both watch and phone regardless of the fact you might be using your phone at the time.
For example while typing this I received a text, but so not to close safari on here I read it on my watch. With wrist detection on it wouldn't have pinged the watch because I was active on the phone and so would have presumed I would look at it here

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
i like the way notifications work. They always come through to whatever device i am using at the time (watch, phone, iPad, mac, macbook). If am am using none then all messages and notifications come through to my watch. So its perfect for me

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.