Notifications...shouldn't the chime come first?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by DisplacedMic, Dec 7, 2013.

1. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

The way i get an email alert is i get the visual notification, then a chime comes a second or two later. Wouldn't it make more sense to chime so that you look up and THEN show the notification? If i'm already looking at the screen i can usually have the message up and read (as in marked read) before the chime even comes. If i'm not watching and i hear the beep, it's too late - i have to change windows or swipe open the notification window to see who emailed me.

-i know this is a terribly minor "problem," it just bugs me...

2. Rocketpaul macrumors regular

I have also had this since mavericks, I'm sure they both came at the same time when i was running mountain lion.

3. DisplacedMic thread starter macrumors 65816

the whole notification thing isn't working that well for me. sometimes the emails clear sometimes they don't.

4. Gochugogi macrumors regular

Gochugogi

Only a second or two? You're doing okay. Mine dings a minute or two later.

5. TheBacklash macrumors 6502

TheBacklash

Mine varies.. the chime sometimes goes off and I look up immediately and see the notification is just going away, then other times it's about a minute later.

6. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

Ever since I installed Mavericks, my custom email notification sound takes about 15 seconds after I get an email.

7. DisplacedMic thread starter macrumors 65816

glad i'm not the only one...i suppose one work-around would be to increase they amount of time the notification bar stays up...but that's not all that convenient for when you are looking at the screen which is, for me anyway, the majority of the time.

there are a couple of obvious conveniences missing on Mav i've noticed...for example why can't we use navigation gestures in the finder?

8. ufkdo macrumors 6502

Mine too. Usually, I read the mail and continue doing my work and then the sound comes lol. I have upgraded directly from SL and it was actually worse in SL. I was randomly getting the sound or not. So, the sound notification of mail.app is something that I could not properly use for years :)