Notifications sync

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by jmmo20, Mar 14, 2015.

1. jmmo20, Mar 14, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2015

jmmo20 macrumors 65816

So I've been wondering something.

I find it extremely annoying when I receive a text or a facetime call and ALL my devices ring at the same time, macbook, ipad, and iphone. I always think that Apple should know better and have a way of knowing what device is active: if i'm tying in my computer, then get the ring only in the macbook and silence the ipad and phone.

Now with iPhones and Watches.... will it be that every single time I get a call, text, or email, BOTH my iphone and my watch will vibrate? wouldn't it make more sense that ALL alerts on the phone are silenced and disabled as long as I'm wearing my watch?

2. twisted-pixel macrumors 6502a

twisted-pixel

Like the idea of this. If I have my watch on with haptic feedback, why do I need my phone to light up and vibrate too. Now, considering the watch will only show notifications when actually on your wrist, it would be cool if the notifications 'switched' between watch and phone based on if the watch was active or not

3. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I agree with both of you. hopefully there will be a switch mode where the argument is

If Watch is worn (skin contact) then push all notifications to the watch only.
    If Watch is removed (skin contact broken) then fall back to default notification definition on iPhone.

4. docprego macrumors 65816

This is a brilliant idea and something I think Apple could easily implement. Let's hope the Watch supports this right away, but really it would be fantastic across all my Apple devices.

5. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

Attached Files:

6. docprego macrumors 65816

I literally came back to this thread to post the same image. This is good news, however it doesn't do anything to prevent notifications coming into my Mac or iPad simultaneously. That's where Apple really could flex some of their continuity muscle and make only my active device notify me.

7. jafingi macrumors 65816

jafingi

I think it will be better, because the watch is directly connected to the phone. So it will just vibrate on the watch, not the phone. And the second you take the watch off, it will switch to the phone.

8. jmmo20 thread starter macrumors 65816

that doesn't seem to be the case by looking at the screen shots above.
    It reads "mirror iphone". That should mean whatever the iphone does, do the same.

It doesn't say "capture iphone notifications" or something along those lines.

This will drive me insane. Imagine a facetime call when I'm home !!!

Iphone, iPad, Watch, and Macbook ALL at the same time. It's totally mental.

9. twisted-pixel macrumors 6502a

twisted-pixel

sometimes I receive a text message on my Mac before I get it on my phone. If I don't read it on my Mac, then when it arrives on my phone, I get the notification there and my pebble. If I read it on the mac, then it appears 'silently' on my phone.

Not sure how Apple will implement the 'notify only on this device' process when it's not clear to me how they can control which device receives it first.

10. docprego macrumors 65816

All they would have to do is implement some sort of system where the active device "phones home" to indicate that it is active. If no device "phones home" then the notification goes to all devices. Should be easy enough to do.

11. Sparkeze macrumors 6502a

Sparkeze

Yes! This happens to me all the time with FaceTime and iMessages, it would be nice if actively using a device would designate that one so I'm not surrounded by ringing.

12. jafingi macrumors 65816

jafingi

The way I understand it is just that "mirror phone" gets all notifications the iPhone would have had. Maybe they're still shown on the phone, but it will not vibrate or ring.

Custom could be that you select which specific apps you will see notifications from on your watch.

I don't think Apple would make such a huge mistake. But we'll see when the reviews are coming in :D

13. jmmo20 thread starter macrumors 65816

I hope it works that way, however we have had facetime and imessage on the mac for a while now and it has worked like that.. ALL calls and ALL messages are notified in ALL devices. So if 2 ipads, 2 macs, 1 phone, all FIVE devices ring/vibrate almost simultaneously.