Notifications upon re-connecting with iPhone

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by urbancity, May 22, 2015.

1. urbancity macrumors member

Hi guys,

One thing I have noticed is that when the Apple Watch goes out of range of the bluetooth connection with the iPhone, notifications coming to the iPhone during that interval will not show up on the Watch when it reconnects with the iPhone. I would need to take out the phone to see what I have missed.

What are your thoughts on this? Thanks,

2. flur macrumors 68000

My preference would be have them go to the watch when you get back in range. I do miss stuff because I walked away from my work desk without my phone and a message came in while I was away. Now that I'm out of the habit of checking my phone, I forget to check when I get back.

3. papbot macrumors 6502

It depends where you are but if you're on a wifi network the watch should still get the messages. At my house I can be anywhere without the phone and my watch still gets all of it.

4. urbancity thread starter macrumors member

That's not been my experience. My iPhone is connected to the work network. When I step out for a meeting in another room without the phone and return I will have notifications waiting for me on my phone but not my Apple Watch.

5. flur macrumors 68000

Yeah, but when you're not connected at all (wifi or BT), it'd be nice if, when you got reconnected, the notifications that are sitting on your phone pinged your watch.

6. priscilla55 macrumors regular

priscilla55

Is your work wifi 5ghz? That might explain why your phone connects to the wifi but your watch won't (because it needs to be on 2.4ghz). Does it work on your wifi connection at home? It certainly should be able to function normally over wifi, without needing a BT connection as long as watch and phone are in the same wifi network.

7. papbot macrumors 6502

At my work place the open/public wifi is so weak and slow my phone has a lot of problems with connections so I'm certain the watch would have issues if I left my phone some distance away. But at home with my network I can be anywhere without the phone and everything works. I normally use the 5Gh network but the 2.4 can be picked up outside the house too so my watch can be fairly distant from the phone.