Notifications via wristband - Embrace+ on Kickstarter

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by AbeFrohman, May 15, 2013.

1. AbeFrohman macrumors 6502

AbeFrohman

There's a project over on Kickstarter for what they're calling a "smart piece of wearable technology". It's the Embrace+. Essentially, it's a silicon wristband that lights up and vibrates for notifications. You can set the colors for each supported app and for individual contacts. It's already fully funded (funded within the first 10 days). They're now trying to reach a stretch goal to develop an SDK for compatibility with more apps. Notifications are via Bluetooth connection. Wristband is supposed to have a 10 day battery life based on average of 100 notifications per day. Recharges via USB cable.

Currently supports notifications for calls, text messages, iMessages, facebook posts, email, tumblr, LinkedIn, Skype, Twitter and Instagram. It also can notify you if you get out of range of your phone.

More info at the Kickstarter page:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/embraceplus/embrace-a-smart-piece-of-wearable-technology

I'm not associated with the developers - just passing this along to try and drum up further interest.

2. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

Does it work with iOS?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

3. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

It's for iOS and android.

4. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

And now i definitely want this

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

5. TC25 macrumors 68020

Does it show, 'Sent from my wrist using Embrace+' with every post?

6. hafr macrumors 68030

I have a smartwatch that alerts me when things happen on my phone, so I definitely get and support the concept. But a huge, plastic, rave-looking neon bracelet that blinks? I don't know... Maybe for people with a hearing problem that don't like to wear it at all times or kids that want to stand out from the crowd. But in public for regular people? I just don't see it. Especially not after having seen their video :)

The could make it so much more tasteful and easy to wear in most situations and still have a vibrating and colourful alert system. When they do that, I'll probably pick one up. As for now, I might get one of these for my old mum to hang next to the telly so she doesn't miss my calls on Sunday evenings ;)

7. TC25 macrumors 68020

Well said.

8. AbeFrohman thread starter macrumors 6502

AbeFrohman

I hear you. They're saying the model in the video was a prototype and the final production model will be thinner. It also has a vibrate only setting.

On the weekends or just wearing around so you don't miss any call/text/whatever, the vibrate and blinking would be okay. I'm actually picturing it as a productivity booster - I can set only important contacts (i.e. my wife) to come through with a vibration only. That way, I can set my phone aside and not be distracted with every buzz for the hundreds of emails I get every day, yet not miss something important. It is supposed to have customizable alerts so you wouldn't even have to look at it to know if it was a particular contact calling/texting.

9. jayrflow macrumors 6502

Might look into this. Seems handy for when I got my phone plugged into the wall and I'm away from my phone. I'll know if I got a notification or not