Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
Hello. I am new to Apple Watch. Is their a tutorial or thread out there that can take me to school on how notifications work and on what device. I understand it’s tied to what device is locked or unlocked and what you are using. But I just can’t get down the patterns. Sometimes my what makes a sound, sometimes it’s Taptic with no sound. Sometimes my phone wakes up from the Lock Screen and sometimes it doesn’t. Sometimes certain notifications makes sound on the watch and others just Taptic.

Confusing. Thanks in advance.

Mr.Blacky

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016
If your Apple Watch is in silent mode, then it should never make a sound. Check under "Notifications" in the Watch app what your settings are for each app.

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
If your Apple Watch is in silent mode, then it should never make a sound. Check under "Notifications" in the Watch app what your settings are for each app.

Thanks. I have. There doesn’t seem to be a rhyme or reason. I know a lot has to do with the phone and which is locked or unlocked or which I’m using. Wish there was something I could read up on.

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
I googled "Apple Watch notifications" the first link that came up was apple's page on how they work

Thank you. I swear, I googled it yesterday!! I think I read this too, but the inconsistency on whether I get a notification sound vs. a haptic vibrate still has me confused. Yesterday I was getting vibrations for messages on my watch and today I am getting dings. No idea why.

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
Question - when the watch thinks you are sleeping (or lying horizontally), does it silence notifications?

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
Question - when the watch thinks you are sleeping (or lying horizontally), does it silence notifications?
no

you must put on Do not disturb to get nothing. You can have it mirror your phone if you want. and also set times for it to engage automatically.

I believe the new sleep mode will also disable notifications, but I haven't used or looked into

theatre mode will silence dings and keep the screen from coming on when you raise your wrist, but it will still tap you, you can roll the crown to slowly brighten the screen, or tap to wake it full.

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
Thanks, so many settings. I pretty much have all my notifications set to default and for most it is mirror phone. The only exception was turning off Map Navigation on the watch. Just a little too much with CarPlay already alerting me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.