Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rondofan9

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2011
Is it possible to merge notifications? What I mean by this is...

I'm an ipad 3, 4s, and mac mini owner. Is there a way I can click the notifications bar on my mac, and on the right see notifications pertaining to my iDevices. Such as having a move on words with friends, and getting a text message? I feel like I should see the same notifications on all my devices, that's one of the recent features I've taken advantage of. Playing the same games and sending emails/txts with all 3 of my apple products (not my ATV obviously lol)

thanks everyone!

Rondofan9

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2011
so If I put a birthday in my calendar on my iPhone I won't be reminded on my Mac Mini? That's disappointing, my apple products should work together.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
so If I put a birthday in my calendar on my iPhone I won't be reminded on my Mac Mini? That's disappointing, my apple products should work together.

Well, that's a bad example because that would show up on all devices since it's in your calendar which IS being synced everywhere.

The Word with Friends example is one that would not work, but something in the calendar would work everywhere.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
pretty sure that is what IOS 6 will do. Currently with mountain lion, any reminders on my phone show up on my mac. I know facebook integration is coming with IOS 6, which means it will show on your mac too if you have ML

Want300

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Is it possible to merge notifications? What I mean by this is...

I'm an ipad 3, 4s, and mac mini owner. Is there a way I can click the notifications bar on my mac, and on the right see notifications pertaining to my iDevices. Such as having a move on words with friends, and getting a text message? I feel like I should see the same notifications on all my devices, that's one of the recent features I've taken advantage of. Playing the same games and sending emails/txts with all 3 of my apple products (not my ATV obviously lol)

thanks everyone!

It depends on the notification... Reminders, iCal stuff... will show up on each device. iMessage works that way as well I think if you have it running on each device.

iMessage on my iPad annoyed me because I did not want my messages going to both places. Also, instead of showing my phone number, it showed my Apple ID (which is from like 10 years ago when the first iPod came out and I started using iTunes... So it is childish... Cuz I was in middle school still when I made that email).

Yea, like the other person said, iCal already does that for you.

pretty sure that is what IOS 6 will do. Currently with mountain lion, any reminders on my phone show up on my mac. I know facebook integration is coming with IOS 6, which means it will show on your mac too if you have ML

We do not know the whole story yet (or at least those who do not have the iOS beta) on iOS 6... I can see it syncing a lot of notifications with all of your devices... but I do not know about games. I am anxious to see how this all works out.

Because I have similar electronics to yours... I have an iPad 2, MBP, and 2 iPhone 4S's (Work and Personal). So further integration of Apple Devices would be great for me. May be interested in an Apple TV here in the near future.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
It depends on the notification... Reminders, iCal stuff... will show up on each device. iMessage works that way as well I think if you have it running on each device.

iMessage on my iPad annoyed me because I did not want my messages going to both places. Also, instead of showing my phone number, it showed my Apple ID (which is from like 10 years ago when the first iPod came out and I started using iTunes... So it is childish... Cuz I was in middle school still when I made that email).

Yea, like the other person said, iCal already does that for you.

We do not know the whole story yet (or at least those who do not have the iOS beta) on iOS 6... I can see it syncing a lot of notifications with all of your devices... but I do not know about games. I am anxious to see how this all works out.

Because I have similar electronics to yours... I have an iPad 2, MBP, and 2 iPhone 4S's (Work and Personal). So further integration of Apple Devices would be great for me. May be interested in an Apple TV here in the near future.

AppleTV is great and even better with Airplay. I use mine several times a week. Just brought it to my GF's last night to watch a movie

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
In terms of AirPlay with my MBP... What does that work for? iTunes? as a wireless display?

It will work for itunes or anything displayed on your Mac. It mirrors your display, which is great if you have Blu Ray rips.....no need for a DVD/Blu ray player.

Want300

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
It will work for itunes or anything displayed on your Mac. It mirrors your display, which is great if you have Blu Ray rips.....no need for a DVD/Blu ray player.

So it is like a connecting my computer to the tv through an HDMI cord... but wirelessly through the the Apple TV??

If that is the case, I am buying one today... I was going to buy a wireless keyboard and trackpad ($140 through Apple) and a long HDMI cord so I could use my TV with my computer.

on a side note:

This is my 500th post... ENTER AVATAR STATE!!

Aang_avatar_state.jpg

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
So it is like a connecting my computer to the tv through an HDMI cord... but wirelessly through the the Apple TV??

If that is the case, I am buying one today... I was going to buy a wireless keyboard and trackpad ($140 through Apple) and a long HDMI cord so I could use my TV with my computer.

on a side note:

This is my 500th post... ENTER AVATAR STATE!!

That is exactly what it is like. What year is your mac? I think you have to have a 2011 or later for airplay to work b.c the intel chips need to be sandybridge or better. If your mac is older you can use the app Airparrot to do the same thing. It is way better than having to bust out the HDMI cord, and if you have a good wifi connection it works flawlessly.

Want300

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
That is exactly what it is like. What year is your mac? I think you have to have a 2011 or later for airplay to work b.c the intel chips need to be sandybridge or better. If your mac is older you can use the app Airparrot to do the same thing. It is way better than having to bust out the HDMI cord, and if you have a good wifi connection it works flawlessly.

I have the upper level 15" MBP... The model before the current generation. So it has: 2.4 GHz i7, 8 GB RAM, 750 GB HDD

Want300

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
You will be good to go then. For $99 it is a fantastic buy

Yea for sure! I will be making that purchase today. I have an amazon gift card that has been burning a hole in my pocket... I hate holding onto gift cards.

I am upset. I got to the 500 post minimum and 6502a... I still can't create an Avatar... no Avatar state yet. BUT SOON! hopefully.

ADDITIONAL:

Thanks for the info. You are quite helpful as always.

-Thomas

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.