Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tekki

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2015
Hello

im pretty new at owning an apple watch, only a few days, but i have a question. how do i make my phone still make sounds when i receive a text message? Sometimes i dont feel the watch tap me or hear it, but shouldnt my phone still have my audible text alert?
iphone 6plus
Apple Watch SS

thank you in advance for any help

leeingham

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2015
Birmingham, UK
You might have it on silent. Tap up from the bottom on the watch face and scroll right to the 3 options. the far right is mute. probbaly hav it on mute

tekki

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2015
You might have it on silent. Tap up from the bottom on the watch face and scroll right to the 3 options. the far right is mute. probbaly hav it on mute
i checked and silent isnt lit. the watch makes the tap and sound, its the phone thats not doing my ringtone when the text comes in, however it does ring on a phone call, or if i shut off bluetooth so its not connected to the watch.
it just seems, that i dont get a ringtone notification if i recieve a text while connected to the watch.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Hello

im pretty new at owning an apple watch, only a few days, but i have a question. how do i make my phone still make sounds when i receive a text message? Sometimes i dont feel the watch tap me or hear it, but shouldnt my phone still have my audible text alert?
iphone 6plus
Apple Watch SS

thank you in advance for any help

I had the exact same problem and posted the same question!

Sadly your answer is that when using the watch you will no longer get sounds for texts or emails. On my first AW I could not feel the taps if it were up and moving about. Also the little ding was a joke in anything except a quiet environment.

I just received the 42mm SS with leather loop and the haptic tapper seem much stronger. I am now feeling it more than half the time. I, too, would like Apple to give us the option to turn the sounds back on the phone or, at least, let us customize the tapper and change the ding.

I know Apple is trying to make these notifications where people around you can't hear them but what good is it if the user can't hear or feel them either. I have read the OS2 blurb and there is nothing mentioned. Apple has never been great a notification customization.

Last edited:

leeingham

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2015
Birmingham, UK
i checked and silent isnt lit. the watch makes the tap and sound, its the phone thats not doing my ringtone when the text comes in, however it does ring on a phone call, or if i shut off bluetooth so its not connected to the watch.
it just seems, that i dont get a ringtone notification if i recieve a text while connected to the watch.

Thats normal I believe for whatever reason

Katherine Law

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2015
Thanks for the info, yes I do hope they change it so we can have some options

It is normal, it happens when I'm using my MacBook and using chat, and if I see the notification on my watch first (aka when I'm not on my phone). That's just how the whole mirroring thing with Apple notifications work. When I am on my Mac if I am using chat, and check it immediately it doesn't go to my watch or phone. When I am on my phone, the notification doesn't go to my watch. If I am not on my computer or my phone, the watch handles everything first, but if I ignore my watch it will eventually show up on my phone. I think the whole point is so that you aren't getting 2 or 3 dings/vibrations etc. which I personally like but I know it's all of matter of preference.

Chatter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Uphill from Downtown
Yes, this is frustrating. I have started turning BT off on my phone when I'm home so that the notifications do not go to the watch first. I agree - I wish I could have sounds on both devices versus just the watch.

tekki

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2015
I have to say I've had my watch now for over two weeks, I really love the watch however I have not missed texts like this since owning my 1st texting phone. Sometimes either the watch isn't notifying or I am just not feeling the notification. I do have haptic and sound set to max, and my phone doesn't make a sound now when receiving texts, I do hope they change this so my phone will still make the sound when I receive a text.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I have to say I've had my watch now for over two weeks, I really love the watch however I have not missed texts like this since owning my 1st texting phone. Sometimes either the watch isn't notifying or I am just not feeling the notification. I do have haptic and sound set to max, and my phone doesn't make a sound now when receiving texts, I do hope they change this so my phone will still make the sound when I receive a text.

My wishes exactly when I first got my watch but everyone jumped on me and said that would be stupid as the watch is not supposed to notify you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.