Noting Taking (stylus style) app?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by jsf8x, Dec 7, 2011.

1. jsf8x macrumors 6502

jsf8x

Hi,

My dad is looking for a good app to take notes with on his iPad. By note taking I'm specifically saying he would use a stylus to write on his iPad to save the notes.

Thanks in advance.

2. franmatt80 macrumors 6502a

Have tried a ton of them and have found Noteshelf smoothest writing and good integration with Evernote/ Dropbox etc.

3. ksmith80209 macrumors 6502a

4. palpatine macrumors 68040

Hi. I've tried many of them, and my favorite at the moment (for many reasons) is Note Taker HD. Whatever you do, I'd recommend getting an app with a zoom feature in order to deal with the iPad screen, which really isn't made to handle a stylus. Penultimate is an app I would stay away from, even though many people seem to like it.

As for a stylus, just about anything will probably do, but I've been pleased with my Targus.

5. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

I agree with Palpatine that Note Taker HD is among the best note taking apps. NotesPlus is comparable and includes audio recording (not included in Note Taker HD).

I also like 7Notes Premium HD very much for handwritten notes. It includes a translation from handwriting to text that I find works very well and a predictive word engine that anticipates what you are about to type from your previous entries.

As far as styluses are concerned, it's very much a personal preference. I like the models from iFaraday.com because the conductive tip glides on the screen very well.

One word of warning, though, whatever app and stylus you choose, be sure your father understands the need to PRACTICE to become proficient. Writing on the iPad screen is very different from using a pen on paper and it requires a commitment to become proficient.

6. Pete the Geek macrumors regular

I've been using NoteTaker HD and it has now completely replaced a notebook for meetings and field work. It is very handy to have all my notes on hand wherever I go.

NoteTaker HD has it's quirks (adding text and shapes by dragging instead of tapping being one) but overall it meets my unique note taking needs. I've tested quite a few note taking apps, and since they are constantly being updated, I periodically take the time to reevaluate them.

7. jsf8x thread starter macrumors 6502

jsf8x

Do any of these apps to script to text? So it converts your notes that you write into a normal text document?

8. palpatine macrumors 68040

only one that i know of:

"I also like 7Notes Premium HD very much for handwritten notes. It includes a translation from handwriting to text that I find works very well and a predictive word engine that anticipates what you are about to type from your previous entries. "

9. jojoba macrumors 68000

7Notes premium as someone said above + the upgraded version of myscript memo.

10. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

There are now several other apps that include handwriting to text translation. WritePad and PhatPad do so, for example. (And I believe they use the same underlying software and even come from the same company.)

However, 7Notes Premium HD is the only app I've found that translates to text in "real time" as you write. I may be wrong (I haven't checked in a month or so) but I believe all the others require that you select a block of handwritten text and apply the translation to that block. Both inconvenient and problematic if you select an extended passage and the translation fails on specific words in the passage.