Nov 11 for Penryn

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Cupertino Time, Aug 14, 2007.

1. Cupertino Time macrumors newbie

I've been waiting a long while for the upcoming mac pro update, and this seemed to be a good time to jump into MR forums. What are the odds we'll get Harpertowns before Macworld? The Mac Pro is in dire need of a refresh but having apple update a computer 6-8 weeks before the convention seems highly uncharacteristic. I'm waiting no matter what, but the thought of a holiday season without those delicious 8 cores is not particularly jolly.

2. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

The Mac Pro isn't the sort of thing Macworld is about now, pretty unlikely that there won't be new Mac Pros this year.

3. Cupertino Time thread starter macrumors newbie

Precedent

Macworld isn't about Macs anymore? :rolleyes:

The only time in recent history apple released computers later than October was G4 laptops in 2002. Before then, it was the G3's in 1997. G4 towers were announced at MacWorld twice.

The Intel roadmap doesn't have a mobile processor refresh or a likely price drop expected by January. I suppose a regular Macbook migration to Santa Rosa is possible. But I feel the only computers in Apple's lineup that are likely to be timed for Macworld is the Pro and the X-serve.

It's also too early for new iphones, and apple is most certainly doing an ipod update before the holiday season. I'm guessing apple needs the Mac Pro to be the anchor for Macworld unless they've got a TON of new software to roll out. Lets not forget iwork08 and the new imovie have also just been released.

4. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Things change, Apple are on Intel's roadmaps now for the most part. I'm sure Apple have also said recently that they will show things when they have them, and not to expect it to always be about coinciding with events.

Macworld has become a huge media, and thus consumer, event. You really think Jobs would spend such valuble time showing off something designed for professionals to work on, that is also one of their smallest selling lines?

5. Cupertino Time thread starter macrumors newbie

What else?

I think that Apple chooses to focus Macworld on whatever new products they have at that time. And the question I pose to you is, what product(s) will they have to release at Macworld OTHER than the pro/serve? I can't think of any that fall into that timetable. The only other option is something new and completely off the map.

6. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Ultra mobile notebook or a midrange mac desktop maybe. Or some new gadget to take advantage of Apple's profile, you might also be right about new macbooks. There could also be displays, iSights or AppleTv. It's certainly feasable Apple could not have another new product and wait until January for Mac Pros, I just feel it's unlikely. The MP is something they can really highlight as being cutting edge, but it doens't have the interest to consumers.

7. Cupertino Time thread starter macrumors newbie

Misc Products

Now that USB webcams have OSX support, i sincerely doubt we'll see another isight. AppleTV 2.0 is possible. Ultra-portable is a pipedream in my opinion, mostly due to apple not catering to the business sector where the buyers are.

I love the idea of a midrange 'mac' tower, but my guess is apple knows it can't get the profit margins that imacs have. Also, if apple was interested in the midrange tower we'd have seen it by now.

The salad days for apple in displays are also gone, you can get superior ones for half the price now (A/V inputs anybody?).

Santa Rosa Macbooks are likely... but are FSB speed bumps really something to focus Macworld around?

If we do get Mac Pros in January, my wish is for future-proofing such as PCIe2 and an option for Blu-Ray/HD DVD. I expect this to be one of apple's landmark towers given the timetable. With 8 cores standard it's going to be top notch for a long time. Not to mention 16GB RAM is getting close to $1000. The ridiculous cost of FB-DIMMs when the first Mac Pro was launched made it an obvious pass. The main reason you see people buying the year-old Mac Pro rig today is that RAM is affordable.

But, like all who lack patience, Mac Pro buyers of today will be kicking themselves soon. The video card update alone is worth the price of waiting.

8. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

The last MacWorld had absolutely nothing to do with Macs whatsoever.

9. Kosh66 macrumors 6502

You ever hear the phrase "the more things change, the more they're the same"? I don't think too much has really changed with the Intel change. In fact, although there is an Intel roadmap, Apple very much still decides when they are going to announce their products. Everybody is still guessing when things will come out.

As someone else said above Mac Pro updates will likely happen this fall, before November or early next year (January).

As for an update at Paris expo,... yeah right,... no there is not going to be an update then. That expo is pretty much a rehash of already announced stuff. There's rarely been an update there.

10. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

yes the roadmaps are just to give us an idea and as we have recently seen from the release times of the MBP and iMac, Intel aren't the deciding factor on when Apple bring things to market. Still, very helpful to have some road maps on a rumor forum ;). Especially when dealing with Apple.

11. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

Keep in mind when Apple got the quad-core CPU's for the Mac Pro, they were a previously unannounced product and Apple got them way before anyone else. So, while there is the possibility that Apple could get the new Intel processors and mobo tech before anyone else, I wouldn't get my hopes up. As has been stated, Apple does what it wants to do, when it wants to do it. You're better off shaking a magic 8-ball to figure out when Apple is going to do something. :p