Nov 2011 - What console would you get?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by i0Nic, Nov 29, 2011.

1. i0Nic macrumors 65816

hey guys,

I know this topic has been done to death, but I would like some feedback.
    I have a first generation xbox360 and a PS3, and a few games on each. I haven't played either for at least 2 years and I want to get into the new games that have come out.

However, both my consoles need to be updated to the new versions - and I only want to pick one console to upgrade and sell off the other one.

At this time of each console lifecycle, which is the console to go for? Xbox 360 + kinect or PS3 + move?

Also, if I got the Xbox360, can I get away with getting the 4gb version? Are there any games that require getting the hard drive?

2. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

You really don't need to 'upgrade' your consoles if you are still rocking an earlier version. I currently have a 60GB PS3 ( the first gen ) with a replaced 500GB HD, and it still gets the job done. I am on my 3rd XBox 360, because they crapped out on me, and they had to be replaced. With all the sales going on you get a new system for a reasonable price, because we all know this is the last ride for current systems.

If you're dead set on a new system, a 160GB PS3 for $199, and it will do the job. A 4GB XBox 360 will NOT get the job done, if you plan on playing the 'A' list games, as they often will recommend installs way bigger ( if you got Rage, it had a 2 part 22GB install ) than a non hard drive 360 can handle. So you maybe looking at a $299 ( it was on sale for $199 during Black Friday ), 250GB XBox 360 with Fable 3 & Halo Reach included.

As far as which system to get, that depends on what exclusives you prefer. Uncharted is one of my favorite series, just as Gears is one of my favorites, while you could play Battlefield & Call of Duty on either systems. Base your choice on the games you can only play on a certain system. If you play a lot of online multiplayer, PSN is free, but I feel the system isn't on as strong. You do pay for Live, but there is a reason for that. The online integration I think is stronger for Live than PSN, and you pay for it.

I think you can get by with the systems you have, and only consider replacing them if they legitimately crap out on you. As far as what games to get, you don't have to look far on the board to find threads on that, including a thread on future purchases this year.

Now while a bunch of games are on sale, go grab some good stuff!

3. i0Nic thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for your reply. The reason I need to upgrade is because my 360 is too loud and it's failed on me a few times, probably close to getting the red ring. My PS3 probably doesn't need to be upgraded, but I'm just leaning towards selling it and funding a purchase for a new xbox 360.

I prefer the 360 online experience but I'm against paying a yearly subscription to use it, has the PS3 online experience improved in the last couple of years?

From following tech blogs, it seems that the 360 is getting better software updates, but not sure if that's accurate.

I really liked both Uncharted and Gears so it's hard to know which way I lean. But one thing is for sure, I can't justify owning both consoles as I just don't play them enough to own two, and I also need the space in my cabinet!

4. Mr.C macrumors 601

Great response. I pretty much would agree with everything you said.

Personally I'm still using a launch 60GB US PS3 which is still going strong. Granted I don't have enough space on it but I've been reluctant to upgrade the HD incase it goes wrong. As it's a US launch console there is no way to replace it without importing a new US one. As most of my blurays are region A they wouldn't work on a UK console. Plus I would lose the SACD functionality.

I'm on my third Xbox 360 as well as the previous two suffered from the three red rings issue. The upside being that my new one is a slim model with a 250GB HD. My previous one was the old Elite with a 120GB HD.

As far as Kinect and Move are concerned I've got both but neither have proved their worth yet. Of the two I think Kinect has the most potential.

As a final point I think you summed up both consoles very well and it's up to the OP to make a decision based on that with regards to his own expectations, needs and requirements.

----------

I think software updates wise I don't think there is anything in it. Personally I prefer the PS3's UI over the 360's.

Online wise the PS3 hasn't really changed. It's adequate enough for online play although it's not as robust as the 360's. There are some missing features like cross game chat. For someone who is a hardcore online player the 360 is probably a better bet and although you pay for it you get what you pay for. I'm not a big online player so I can't really comment from personal experience.

The old 360's are pretty noisy and the new slim ones are not only quieter but also generate less heat. They also allow Kinect to connect without an additional power supply which the old style ones don't. The new ones are also I beleive less prone to issues like the three red rings.

At the end of the day you have to make your own decision. Personally I like having all the consoles as it gives me the flexibility to play any game I want. I do realize though not everyone is in a position to do that.

5. Lincoln 6 Echo macrumors member

6. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

$199 for a new PS3? Where? All $249 around here...

7. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

Like the 360, it was on sale. Several places are sold out of it, and if they have it, the price was raised. Wal Mart, Target, were doing it, and I believe Amazon offered some $50 off or rebate on the $249 package on Black Friday.

8. Yaboze macrumors 6502a

Yaboze

If you want to play games with your friends and use voice chat, get a Xbox 360. The Xbox has a better, more robust "online" community and service. While the PS3 has free online, it doesn't have voice chat and some of features of Xbox Live.

If you want to just play some games and watch Bluray movies, get a PS3.