Nov 2018 MBA Lost Hard Drive Partition After Bootcamp failed

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by awadeee, Dec 12, 2018.

1. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Hi there,

Been a few years since I've been here but I originally came because ya'll are the most knowledgeable so I'm hoping you can help today! :)

I've recently purchased the new MBA with the 128GB SSD that have the APFS file system. I started up bootcamp last night and as soon as it tried to partition the drive for a Windows section, the process froze and I eventually had to force quit the program. (I know, I know) Then Bootcamp obviously refused to cooperate anymore because more than one partition now exists. I deleted the Bootcamp partition and am now having trouble even getting my Mac to recognize the drive's full size. In reference to the screenshot below, my computer only seems willing to recognize the 70-odd GB partition but not the 40GB that seems forever lost...

Help? I've tried a few different things in terminal but I honestly don't know what I'm doing. I'm really not a techie guy these days and am just praying that I won't have to reformat the whole thing.

Love ya's
    Anthony

Terminal.png diskutil1.png diskutil2.png diskutil3.png

2. awadeee thread starter macrumors 68020

awadeee

3. OLDGUYWITHAHIFI Suspended

OLDGUYWITHAHIFI

This is why I can't believe the MBA comes with 128gb base. If I am not mistaken, Windows requires at least a 50gb partition to work properly. Not sure about MacOS. A 50gb partition would pretty much cut your drive in half. Taking into consideration space used by an installer, etc., I am guessing the drive was not large enough to accommodate the partition, and thus failed.

I am certainly no expert but that's my guess at this point.

As far as losing the partitioned section, happened to me once. I ended up having to do a fresh install.

4. imofean macrumors newbie