Novel twist on an old problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Gonkboy, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Gonkboy macrumors newbie

Hey folks. I'm a noob so please go easy on me.

I've hooked up my mbp to a bigger monitor so i can watch movies etc and have successfully got the monitor working. I used a VGA cable. Right now I have the same things showing on both screens.
    Is there any way for me to turn off the macbook pro screen so it's only the big monitor being used? And on the other hand how could I turn off the main monitor and only have the macbook pro screen working?

2. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

The above links are all great resources and will easily outline how to do it, its rather simple and is done under displays in system preferences.

3. Gonkboy thread starter macrumors newbie

I read the links but I still couldn't find the answer. I don't want to use a separate mouse and keyboard and I don't want to download another app. I just want the screen on the macbook disabled while I watch movies on the bigger monitor.

4. simsaladimbamba

Then use the F1 brightness key to lower the brightness of the MB's display to shut the display off, while watching a movie on that external display. Or is that also not an option?

I don't know of any way, to accomplish what you are asking, but maybe have a look at Advanced Search to find similar threads:
    [​IMG]

5. Gonkboy thread starter macrumors newbie

That is an option but I thought there might be a way to turn the macbook screen of completely like there is on a PC. Thanks for the suggestions though.

6. simsaladimbamba

You mean, like pressing the power button on a display? If that is what you mean, using the F1 key is the same.