Novelty Wearing Off??

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by leeingham, May 6, 2015.

1. leeingham macrumors 6502

I preordered the SG Sport on pre order day at 10:42am GMT after cancelling my 8:03 order for the 38mm SG as felt too small.

I've now been waiting for a launch day product for 26 days with it due to arrive anytime between 28th May and 10th June and the excitement factor certainly has dipped massively and it's just gonna arrive and I will probably be bored after an hour.

Same for anyone else yet in similar position.

2. sincere11105 macrumors 6502

Same situation. Sucks that I've been seeing my wife use her and I'm still waiting

3. jjlannoo Suspended

I didn't buy it for novelty. I love apples eco system and I love watches. No brainer for me.

4. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

Had a silver sport with blue band for 3 days and sold it after getting a SS with classic band (both 38mm).

I like the SS, but not $700 like. I don't receive that many notifications (it's main use) and the sport/running accuracy is suspect.

I'm on the fence here. If it wasn't $700 (after taxes) maybe I wouldn't have a hard decision.

At this point a dress watch could be had for the same or less. 12 days to decide...

5. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Are you purchasing the watch to entertain you?

If so, I suggest you cancel your order.

Are you purchasing the watch thinking it's going to be an iPhone on your wrist and that your'e going to use it all the time to justify it's cost?

If so, I suggest you cancel your order.

6. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

I didn't buy it for novelty. Mine doesn't arrive until at least May 14th, but since I'm familiar with the functionality of it, I already find myself in situations daily when I wish I had the Apple Watch on my wrist. It starts in the morning when I take a shower, I often wish I had the watch on my wrist so I can reply to texts and control the music playing on my iPhone through the bluetooth speaker in my shower. Or when my iPhone is in another room charging or I just forgot it somewhere in my house, I won't miss any texts or calls while I'm walking around. I'm actually really genuinely excited just by the basic functions, and future software updates and third party app improvements will just be more icing on the cake in future months. Therefore there's no novelty in it for me, I'm excited to have it for its uses and not because it has an Apple logo on it.

7. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

Yeah, in the same boat here and most of the excitement has worn off for me as well. Apple did a great job of hyping everyone up at the same time promising something they knew they couldn't deliver. They've gotten really good at that over the years.

Meanwhile, enjoy the ads and all the threads from those who won the lottery and got them.

8. AtheistP3ace macrumors 6502a

AtheistP3ace

Had mine for less than a week but really enjoying it so far. From my current usage I don't imagine it will wear off for me. I find it very useful and fun to use.

9. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

That's the laughable part. People are crazy over when theirs will ship and all the other nonsense going on with this rollout. And it seems for many the usefulness is not what they expected. Some are saying they use it use it use it. To each their own. Of course the novelty will wear off. Truth is it is a watch and you shouldn't be interacting with it that much. Initially people are playing with all the features and apps. Over time, it will be the accessory that it is and not some magic 'how did I live without this' device. Does that mean people shouldn't buy them. No. Just temper your long-term expectations.

10. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Or just order it and wait a couple of weeks? It's really not that long of a wait. People are such babies. You ordered a sophisticated, expensive watch with an operating system for the novelty value of it, and are now disappointed because you don't have it in your hand right away? A first gen product has a 2-3 week backorder, that's hardly vaporware. Talk about instant gratification...

11. AbeFrohman macrumors 6502

AbeFrohman

It's a reality that some tech is not for everyone. Because it's a smartwatch made by Apple, they now hold more mass desire (not appeal necessarily) for fans of Apple, the Apple ecosystem, gadget hounds...

But because of its inherent limitations, people may have unrealistically inflated ideas of what it can do. I think there will definitely be a portion that don't realize the true value (or perhaps don't have the need to justify it).

If you have been through an evolution of previous smart watches (i.e. Pebble), then the Apple Watch is leaps and bounds beyond what you're used to and the Apple Watch becomes a part of your tech life. If you've never had a wearable device and had expected a mini iPhone on your wrist or to FaceTime, Netflix and do everything on your watch, you probably will be disappointed.

And if you're glued to your phone 24/7 anyway, then notifications on your wrist are superfluous.

12. JSRockit macrumors 6502a

JSRockit

Agreed... I bought mine as a watch first and everything else second. I wasn't disappointed.

13. Trius macrumors 6502a

Trius

It sucks, but hang in there. I got mine yesterday and I can tell you it's worth the wait.

14. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

I ordered mine on the 10th, a couple of weeks have come and gone. Mine will be well over a month before it comes.

You're happy to wait, good for you. How's the weather up there from your high horse?

15. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

I've had mine since launch day, have worn it every day, and am enjoying the extra functionality it brings. It's constantly making me aware of how much movement and activity I'm doing (or not doing), so the "fitness" aspect seems to be making healthy habits for me. The Modular face with my next calendar appointment as a complication has been downright invaluable, and the notifications have proven themselves useful. Ultimately, the Apple Watch further continues the trend that personal computers and smartphones have been working toward for years (decades even) - offloading trivial bits of processing and storage to a computer so that I can focus the energies of my brain to things that are uniquely me, and not a machine. I don't have to spend the brainpower memorizing when and where I need to be next, because it's information that's available to me at the flick of the wrist.

16. Docsteel macrumors member

The proper context

The big issue here is everyone including many reviewers tried to cast and judge the Apple Watch as a phone replacement; it is simply not.

It is first a time piece, then it is a smart watch that does something that isn't sexy; it tells you when you need to and more importantly when you don't need to pull out your phone. This saves time, is useful when you can't or shouldn't pull out your phone, and even results in less used charge on your phone. It's for quick interactions, not extended interactions like your phone, pad or laptop.

In time, things like opening electronic doors, paying (more so than with Apple Pay today), operating even your home, starting rental cars and other activities, will be more naturally done with a wearable, and a watch is the most accepted and tried way of doing things like this today. Hence why Apple rightly so sees it is a huge market potential starting today, but it will be more pronounced in the next few years; in a decade we will all wonder what life was like without them.

Hyped a bit in the beginning? Probably, but having worn one for the third day now I would honestly miss it. And yes, I am pulling out the phone less to boot ;)

17. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

For me, my view has remained consistent with this, that it's more of a supplement for the iPhone rather than a replacement. Although after seeing some of the issues people are having it has made me question my order. Having to wait as it is it almost seems like cancelling and waiting for them to get worked out is not such a bad idea. Sooner or later they'll release them to the retail stores when things calm down.

18. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

I was in the same boat while waiting for my watch (losing interest/novelty wearing off) but don't let that get you down. Once you get the watch, you will love it. It's going to be like Christmas. Trust me.

19. mightyjabba macrumors 65816

mightyjabba

The novelty has worn off a bit for me, which is why I am liking it more now than when I first got it. It's not like an iPhone that you can spend hours tinkering with. It's best when you've incorporated it into your daily life and you just use it for a few seconds at a time (whether for notifications or short info lookups). I've also been doing my best to identity the actions that the watch is actually better for, and only use it for those things. No sense in using a tool that makes things harder.

20. leeingham thread starter macrumors 6502

I currently own 14 watches so certainly not buying it for the novelty value, I'm buying it to own another watch just never waited this long for something I've preordered knowing when the "launch date" would be.

I don't want to cancel my order just feel the excitement of owning a new apple device may wear off quicker this time given how long I've been waiting and I used to work at apple so fully understand the excitement factor selling 50+ iPhones in a day gradually wears off near the end due to volume sold etc.

21. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Quite lovely this time of year, thank you.

22. Neutral Milk macrumors regular

Neutral Milk

The novelty of.. waiting? If waiting is a novelty I guess you're pretty lucky. If you mean the novelty of the watch, I'm not sure how that can wear off before you've even received it.

23. Docsteel macrumors member

Exactly- it's odd, but the concept behind the Watch is to actually take back away some of the distractions and lost time of your iPhone. In effect Apple is actually advancing things out of the ditch that smart phones have put us in. Its this irony; the more invisible and integrated the Watch is in a certain sense the more useful it actually is. All kinds of cool applications are going to erupt with the Internet of Things slowly but surely coming online. It won't be long before you just use your watch to do a lot of things, most which will be far less cumbersome than using your phone. Using your phone to pay groceries with for instance will appear "old school", with a wearable being the more natural and preferred method.

24. susan12369 macrumors 6502

As others have said, it's worth the wait as long as your expectations are realistic about what it does and doesn't do. It's now integrated into my life so I would feel weird walking out of the house without it on my wrist, and I really love getting the Taptic notifications throughout the day (just got one while I'm typing this and was able to see what it was without much break in my typing).

And obviously your waiting period of 26 days includes the 14 days that everyone had to wait, even those who got it on the first day.

I hope it comes earlier than you expect, and hope you love it.