November 2007 MBP Battery Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lilmitchmitch, Nov 12, 2008.

1. lilmitchmitch macrumors 6502

Ok, so here is my deal...

I got my MBP last November, basically a year ago today. And over the past few weeks my battery has really sucked some major #$%*. I can't even get though a 50 minute class without it going to reserve and ultimately shutting down. It was a very abrupt change from when it lasted for several hours.

Just a bit ago I unplugged my computer and seriously 10 minutes (if that) later it had shut down (gone to sleep).

I do have AppleCare on the computer, but I've heard that I probably can't get a new battery through it. And looking at the reviews on the Apple site for a new battery ($129), it's pretty discouraging.

What do you guys suggest I do? Try calling AppleCare and seeing if I can hassle them enough to try and get a new battery, buy one from Apple, or something completely different?

2. gpeden macrumors regular

Hi there,

I bought mine in the same month and my battery was showing problems for the last month or two. A couple of weeks ago I called Applecare, agreed to try yet another calibration, and called back the next day to report that the capacity had dropped from 2000mah (already less than half) to around 1000 mah from that effort. A new battery was shipped to me with the caveat that my credit card would be charged if the old one wasn't returned within a two week period or so. Today I received notification that the old battery was received and all is well.

So what's the problem with Applecare supposed to be? :)

Cheers!

Glen

3. lilmitchmitch thread starter macrumors 6502

Yay! I called and they are sending a replacement!!

After a little research it seems that the Full Charge Capacity should be ~5000 for a new computer. And after 300 cycles it should be 80% of that?

Well my computer has 41 cycles and was sitting at 642 mAh. I guess that was enough evidence that something was ****ed up. :D