November starts tomorrow, so does iOS 4.2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by DennisDigestive, Oct 31, 2010.

1. DennisDigestive macrumors newbie

:apple:Tomorrow we should see the release date of :apple: iOS 4.2, or if were lucky it being released itself. When do you see it coming?

2. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Sometime in November. :D

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

The current 4.2 beta has bugs. I believe there will have to be at least one more beta or significant improvement into a RC. Either way that's at least 2 weeks from the point that is available to developers. 2nd half of November for sure.

4. SamFisher macrumors member

There's normally a GM before any official release. i see it coming out around the 12-26 november timefame.

5. DennisDigestive thread starter macrumors newbie

Also, do you think we will see another beta next time or the GM beta?

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

See my post above. There are bugs in the current version. Under certain circumstances I get get 4.2 to soft-reset the entire device whenever I try and swipe off the system-wide search screen for example. Once in this state most apps crash when they try and switch views too. The only way out is to fully reboot. This is on the iPhone but 4.2 can't be released until it works correctly on all devices it supports. So I can't see how there can't be at least one more revision before release. Who knows: final release could get pushed to December if that's what's required for stability.

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I heard 4.2 would be delayed as the OS team is working on Lion. ;)

8. ckorhonen macrumors regular

ckorhonen

Since we are still on Beta 3, I'd expect at least one more beta (the GM) before 4.2 is released. Beta's usually come out on Tuesdays or Wednesdays and I'd be surprised if its not out this coming week.

Apple have also been accelerating the OS X 10.6.5 betas (needed for AirPrint), so thats another sign that its coming over the next few weeks.

The earliest I'd expect a public release is probably 1 week after the GM is released to developers, so around the 10th.

The latest I would expect a release would be the 19th simply due to the US thanksgiving. Generally companies don't like pushing large software releases before or during a holiday - if something goes wrong, then everyone is out of the office.

9. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

10. Saberon macrumors 6502a

I realize that beta's don't have a certain schedule that they have to be released on, but B1-B2 was 2 weeks, B2-B3 was 2 weeks and B3-B4 is more than 2 weeks at this point. From the past, whenever there is a long break without a beta, it usually means either a RC/GM is coming real soon

11. FubsyGamr macrumors regular

Hahaha now you sound like Blizzard.

12. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

Pssh. I wish. :)

13. AppleFan922 macrumors member

unfortunately, nov 30th is still in apples "november" time frame...

14. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

there was never a date set just that it'll be out in november ;):rolleyes:

15. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

There is going to be at least one (and maybe, possibly two) developer releases before Apple rolls it out to the public. That is assuming Apple follows the model it has used for other releases.

Developers always get a week or two with the final release candidate to make absolutely sure their code works before Apple releases it. Beta 3 doesn't seem to be the release candidate.

16. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

The soonest is Tuesday November 30, 2010. If there are problems it will be later.

17. Ciclismo macrumors 6502a

Ciclismo

As long as it doesn't go the way of the white iPhone.

18. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

+1

19. Ksane macrumors regular

The way Apple seems to be going about things I think we'll get an anouncement Nov 30th that the iPad update is delayed until "spring of 2011".
    I'm just saying........Apple seems to reneg a lot on their dates.

20. garethjs macrumors 6502

I see beta 4 this week. The RC sometime 22-23rd of Nov. And as similar to 4.1, a public release 1 week later on the 30th.

21. lozpop macrumors 6502

22. aneftp macrumors 68040

Originally Apple said "Fall 2010". That means they could push it all the way until Dec 20/21st 2010 to release the 4.2 update.

Frankly in my opinion, all of us ipad first generation users are just "guinea pigs" in the overall scheme of things. We all knew this.

The iPad app store is severely lacking and it's really because developers are all waiting for a unified 4.2 released for iPad/iphone/ipod touch.

All the developers for the iPhone/ipod touch focus on that since the ipad is running 3.2 version rather than 4.1

23. Sherifftruman macrumors 6502

With the Daylight savings alarm bug hittingiPhones all over the place and the US set to change back to standard time this coming weekend, is there any possiblity that they pull people to rush out apoint release of 4.1 first then go back to working on 4.2? This would delay it even more. I guess they could also shoot 4.2 out there and then follow with a point release to fix the isues it has.

I just feel like Apple has to do somethign. The mainstream US press will be all over it if they don't.

24. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

LOL where can i buy whatever it is that you smoked before this post??? :D

LOL this thread is so funny... GM /= last beta, you are thinking more of at 'RC', GM is exactly the same build as the release. Once your software reach Gold Master (GM) stage, if you find bugs you and can't release that same build you 'HAVE' ro revise the version (4.2.1 or 4.2.0.1, etc) in oder to comply with cert. houses and standards (ISO, fcc, etc).