NOW am I being too picky?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mcdj, Apr 6, 2012.

1. mcdj, Apr 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2012

mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Would this drive YOU crazy? The bottom right corner of my latest replacement iPad (which looks better otherwise than my previous one) has a sliver of dark (not dead) pixels.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

3. Simplicated macrumors 65816

Simplicated

I don't think you should exchange it. Chances are you get one that has a worse screen.

4. matttye macrumors 601

I can't see anything wrong with it. WTF are you talking about?!

5. AR15MBP macrumors regular

Sad, but probably true.

6. rz-jacks macrumors member

who care if it would bother anyone else, does in bother YOU? one thing you might wanna think about is that if you plan on selling it in the future this might bring the value down... try using it for a while and see what happens, maybe it just needs some run time and they will light up.

7. brentsg macrumors 68030

I can't see it, and yes I'm wearing my glasses.

8. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

I can see it, however I wouldn't think it's worth returning over.

9. VFC, Apr 6, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2012

VFC macrumors 6502a

Looks like the glass screen panel was not cleaned properly before it was assembled. I can envision a stack of glass panels in the Foxconn plant with the edge of your panel sticking out slightly from the rest collecting dust.

I have a DLP projection TV that I recently cleaned the lens. I missed a spot of dust in the one corner of the lens. I now have a similar dark area on the lower left corner of my screen. My eyes almost always gravitate to that spot when that corner is displaying a light colored image.

I can always take my set apart and clean the lens; you can't. I would exchange it.

10. mcdj thread starter macrumors 604

mcdj

It's the bottom right edge of the screen...the very edge. In reality, it's about a 2 inch vertical strip, that fades to normal as it goes up the right edge.

11. matttye, Apr 6, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2012

matttye macrumors 601

You mean that tiny thing that looks like a shadow?

You can't be serious... :(

Yes, downrate me because I'm not psychotic.. :rolleyes:

12. WRP macrumors 6502a

You are being pretty picky. And from looking over the threads you have started over the years I noticed a trend of complainy as well.

13. seadragon Contributor

seadragon

mcdj... I see what you mean. The vertical row of dark pixels. But, it looks to me more like a shadow in the backlighting vs a pixel issue.

The screen in general looks a bit blotchy/unevenly backlit with dark corners. You can also see red/green in your closeup.

But it seems like that's just the new normal for the iPad now so that's probably about as good as you're going to get with the 3rd gen.

My original iPad still looks solid white compared to the new ones. It must have something to due with the pixel density.

14. bcaslis macrumors 68020

You know these screens are side light, right? Looks like it's just the edge without the sidelighting where the light isn't fully reaching the corner.

Do you see it without a pure white screen? If not, then I'd not worry about and stop staring at pure white screens. ;)

15. mcdj thread starter macrumors 604

mcdj

The rest of the screen is VASTLY more evenly colored than my previous ones, which displayed blotchy areas of strong pink and green/cyan. This one is still not ideal, but I suppose it's liveable. As for the dark corners, remember that a camera will record a hot spot in the center of a white screen in many situations.

I agree that the sliver of darkness is a shadow of some kind. I don't think it's defective pixels at all.

----------

Obviously it doesn't show up in black screens, but even in web pages with mulitple colors and densities, it's there. It's as if the screen has a built in bevel/emboss effect, but only on one part of the corner.

16. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

17. seadragon Contributor

seadragon

Yeah, you're right about the camera showing a hotspot. Incidentally, I've found that its better to have the camera further away and zoom in on the screen as opposed to having the camera close to the screen.

If it looks good in person, I'd just keep it.

18. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Well, it's clearly a backlight issue, not bad pixels. Whether you return it or not is up to you.

19. mariotr87 macrumors regular

20. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

It would NOT be a backlight issue

21. mcdj thread starter macrumors 604

mcdj

so then what is it?

22. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

I agree.. it's very trivial !!

23. WilliamG macrumors 604

I disagree, since that's not trivial at all. I'd return it. It's a dark patch in a line up the side of the screen, for goodness sake! :eek:

24. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I would say it was screen issue where a line of pixels on the edge are misbehaving. No way back lighting could cause such a detailed defect.

25. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

These threads.......they're just becoming.........can't we just stop this?