now i hacked my ipod touch but...

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by dandill23, Oct 22, 2007.

1. dandill23 macrumors member

now im all in favor of a hacked ipod touch but im getting nervous of what apple might do. i understand that u can restore an ipod to its original form using itunes restore feauture. should i unistall everything on the ipod first though? what is the order. or do i just restore through itunes.

i have a feeling that if i update to a future version with the stuff on it, it will brick, so i need to restore before i update so how should i do it. thanks

2. MmmPancakes macrumors 6502

MmmPancakes

Once you break it, that's it. There's no going back. If Apple ever updates iTunes or iPod firmware, your iPod Touch will be rendered useless and cann0ot be restored to it's original state.

Perhaps you should use the forum's search feature to look for questions that might have been asked in the past?

3. dandill23 thread starter macrumors member

i do not post often but i read every thing here and it is cleary evident that thsi board is not what it used to be. before the ipod touch was main stream and it was just being released, people were helpful no matter what the question. NOw they are all jerks. I am a fifteen year old male. I balance school and personal life and to see this kind of response coming from someone when i nicely asked a question on a helping forum, is disgusting. If you would suggest a further forum that would be helpful as opposed to idiotic and self sufficient, it would be greatly appreciated.

4. California King macrumors 65816

From what I've read, the ipt is cannot be bricked. The manual restore is built into the hardware and jailbreaking cannot brick it. So in other words, Apple made it so that the manual restore will always work.

If you're that concerned that Apple will release an update the will brick your ipt, just do a manual restore before doing the update. I'm sure people on this forum or the ipt hacking forum will let everyone know what the update does and does not do within minutes of release.

And BTW, I also think it's ridiculous that there is a lack of important "stickies" on this forum. If there were more stickies, people won't have to search this forum and they'll be able to find what they're looking for on the front page almost all the time.

5. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Apple will never "brick" anything. Not in their best interests.

Apple can bring a hacked Touch or iPhone back to its "out-of-box state" which means clear it out and update it to the latest firmware where it then will ask you to "please connect this iPod to iTunes".

Your files, old hacks and special apps will be gone and the old hacks won't work on the new firmware.

6. MmmPancakes macrumors 6502

MmmPancakes

People here want to help you. That's why we are here. But there are rules and guidelines to posting and asking questions. When you post the same question over and over again, and in the wrong forum, you ruin the experience for other users, including other users like yourself who are seeking help on an important issue.

I know that your question has been answered, because I've asked it before and I received several great and insightful responses. If you properly searched the forum, you would see that your question has been discussed at length over and over.

BTW, what does your age, balancing school and personal life have to do with anything? Sounds like to me you're old enough and responsible enough to follow the rules.

7. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

I didn't get that one either. I'm 41, work 50+ hours a week, am married and I can still manage to find that search button, can manage to follow directions and think for myself. Apparently being 15 is the factor here because it sure isn't about a lack of time.

8. SuperDaddy macrumors member

Whats even worse than what you are lecturing him on, though, is the fact that the original advice you gave him was completely wrong.

9. DaBrain macrumors 65816

DaBrain

Perhaps you should check the validity of what you deem to be fact before you admonish others. Try getting off your HighHorse!:)

10. thegrandmaster macrumors regular

thegrandmaster

Jeez lay off the kid.

Moral of the story : search first, and if you're gonna post do it in the right forum.

Don't bring your age into the issue here dude, I was 16 in June and I can manage to find my way around here, it just puts the 'grown ups' /sarcasm/ off helping out the 'kids/teenagers' on the board if they see you can't figure out how to work it properly.

If you don't want your Touch to get damaged in an update, the blindingly simple answer is, don't update it...
    That's just the price you pay for jailbreaking, you might be able to update after the hackers figure out what's changed/bricked/altered and fix it, like with the iPhone 1.1.1 update, but that usually takes at least a week or two.