Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maryanne1963

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2013
Toronto
I thought purchasing extra space for my iPhone would be ideal since I have filled my phone with photos and music. So I purchased iCloud for approx. $20 Canadian dollars. Now what? :eek:

I have no idea how to manage this space ...or for that matter - find out exactly where it is.

And I have "find my iPhone"... well how do I find it...if I have lost it? Do I need to buy something else.

Go easy on me ... no fancy terms please ... I am a newbie.

Your thoughts would be appreciated. I am totally lost.

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010
You don't "purchase" iCloud, you purchase extra cloud storage... What exactly did you buy?

paulbennett95

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2012
Long Island, NY
Go to iCloud.com to use the find my iPhone service if you lose your device.

And iCloud is used for backups and to store app data, if the app supports and utilizes iCloud.

It's not like DropBox or something of that sort, it's merely to sync data between your iPhone, iPod, iPad, and Mac, and also lets you backup your device without the use of a computer (post-PC era, remember?)

Hope I helped :)

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
So what cloud service would one use to extend the media storage capability of the iPhone?, assuming those are my personal media NOT iTunes purchases AND NOT Music Matched.

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2010
Great.

And would the "extended" media be seamlessly integrated into iTunes/movie/photo viewer OR a separate App is required to access them?

Separate application and sometimes can be accessed in the safari browser. I know Dropbox and Google Drive have applications for this. Not sure about the others, I know Amazon also offers a similar service.

maryanne1963

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2013
Toronto
iCloud purchase

You don't "purchase" iCloud, you purchase extra cloud storage... What exactly did you buy?

I purchased 15 GB for one year $20 a year.
Where is the information stored? iCloud.ca or .com ?
thank you for you quick response!:):)

----------

Go to iCloud.com to use the find my iPhone service if you lose your device.

And iCloud is used for backups and to store app data, if the app supports and utilizes iCloud.

It's not like DropBox or something of that sort, it's merely to sync data between your iPhone, iPod, iPad, and Mac, and also lets you backup your device without the use of a computer (post-PC era, remember?)

Hope I helped :)

Yes you helped a lot! I have not been to iCloud.com yet. (remember: me a 50 year old newbie). I know my way around most things but not this iCloud thing.
Thank you so much for your assistance!:)

Shockwave78

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2010
I've stayed away from iCloud since it was released but have been trying it out recently for photo saving.

- if I am correct, photos on your iPhone will be sent to your PC and stored in the photostream folder, the photos that show in your photostream folder on the iPhone will only show th most recent 30 days correct? Once the photos are synced to your pc they will not be deleted unless you delete them from of itself right?

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
I've stayed away from iCloud since it was released but have been trying it out recently for photo saving.

- if I am correct, photos on your iPhone will be sent to your PC and stored in the photostream folder, the photos that show in your photostream folder on the iPhone will only show th most recent 30 days correct? Once the photos are synced to your pc they will not be deleted unless you delete them from of itself right?

correct all around

Johnchapin

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2008
Boulder
Data Useage over Cell

I'm also an iCloud newbie but not signed up yet. From what I've read, there seems to be a lot of data moving around. My only internet connection for a MBP is a cell 5GB/month plan. I'm usually using about 4 GB out of the 5 GB. How is iCloud going to add to data useage :confused: I take a lot of high rez photos, maybe 5000/month, but am only interested in editing and saving 30 or so a month. These photos flow camera to MBP for editing in Preview or Pixelmator, and the 30 good ones go out to iPad 3 albums. The other route is from camera through an EyeFi card and to ShutterSnitch on the iPad.

My other hesitancy is giving up iOS 5 and Google Maps. I don't like the new Google Maps app but am very happy with the old Google Maps built into iOS 5. A friend says he is happy with Apple Maps. Any confirmations? I also don't see a reason for upgrading from Snow Leopard to Lion. I understand iOS 6 and Lion are required for iCloud. However, I would like to have Find My iPhone.

Count me as grouchy old luddite ;) Newer isn't always better.

dewthedru

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2010
I'm also an iCloud newbie but not signed up yet. From what I've read, there seems to be a lot of data moving around. My only internet connection for a MBP is a cell 5GB/month plan. I'm usually using about 4 GB out of the 5 GB. How is iCloud going to add to data useage :confused: I take a lot of high rez photos, maybe 5000/month, but am only interested in editing and saving 30 or so a month. These photos flow camera to MBP for editing in Preview or Pixelmator, and the 30 good ones go out to iPad 3 albums. The other route is from camera through an EyeFi card and to ShutterSnitch on the iPad.

My other hesitancy is giving up iOS 5 and Google Maps. I don't like the new Google Maps app but am very happy with the old Google Maps built into iOS 5. A friend says he is happy with Apple Maps. Any confirmations? I also don't see a reason for upgrading from Snow Leopard to Lion. I understand iOS 6 and Lion are required for iCloud. However, I would like to have Find My iPhone.

the icloud will only store pics if you want it to. i have 2 iphones and 3 ipads on my account so i don't use icloud to backup my pictures. i use it to sync my work documents, bookmarks, and a few other minor items.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA

You can't legally buy a copy of Lion anymore. If you really want to upgrade, you can either get Mountain Lion now or wait for Mavericks :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.