Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 8, 2009
My 3GS has just had to reload some of the tabs in Safari after I used the fast app switcher to reply to a text and then go back to Safari again. Up until 4.0, my 3GS has never had to reload any tabs in Safari, so the fast app switching must be taking a good chunk of RAM. The 512mb of RAM in the iPhone 4 should resolve this.

The biggest issue is that even without multitasking and fast app switching, the iPad already has to reload Safari tabs. It seems to me that this can only get much worse when 4.0 comes out for the iPad, and that it really badly needs 512mb or more to operate properly without reloading content.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
This is likely why 4.0 is coming in the Fall for the iPad. Either there will be a new model for the Holiday season or they will have to totally rework the OS to work on the iPad.

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2009
This is likely why 4.0 is coming in the Fall for the iPad. Either there will be a new model for the Holiday season or they will have to totally rework the OS to work on the iPad.

No. The reason why 4.0 is not coming out until the fall is that the iPad and iPhone 4.0 developers were kept separate as the iPad was shrouded in secrecy, even from other Apple employees.

But you are right. I think some sort of accommodating or limitation will be made to account for the smaller amount of ram. Don't see a new model coming until the new year though.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007

They don't have the "totally" rework the OS. 90% of the iOS4 on iPad will be exactly the same as the build for iPhone 4. 10% will just be tuned/optimized for the iPad and that's what the next several months is all about while at same time both the iOS 4 and iOS 3.2 teams will integrate since there's no "wall" between them now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.