Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 23, 2010
I dunno, somewhere in West Texas
The 7.1 update has finally let me experience what everyone has been raving about, and that was a flawless Touch ID experience. This is the first week & half where I haven't gotten 1 "try again". I mean honestly it feels like a brand new phone. Up until now I was always fine with using my passcode but now I don't know how I could go back. I'm just surprised that it works every friggin time.

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
yeah that wasn't a selling point to me. But when I go to use a friends 5c, I feel like UGH, password. cool feature.

cipher29

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2009
I was hugely skeptical of touch id when it was launched... Works 100% perfectly for me. Love it.

Wide opeN

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2010
Georgia
Not gonna lie, when I was on the GS4 I mocked thus feature as a MAJOR lack of innovation.

Couldn't have been more wrong #

Basically, I couldn't imagine the iPhone without this feature now, and am I the only one that thinks Touch ID makes the iPhone look better!?

So glad the square on the home button is gone.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
Not gonna lie, when I was on the GS4 I mocked thus feature as a MAJOR lack of innovation.

Couldn't have been more wrong #

Basically, I couldn't imagine the iPhone without this feature now, and am I the only one that thinks Touch ID makes the iPhone look better!?

So glad the square on the home button is gone.

Oh yeah, I think the 5s looks beautiful with the fingerprint sensor. It's just too bad it couldn't make it onto the iPad yet.

easy-peasy

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2014
Touch ID is a major feature for me as I can finally have my phone secured with a password + it makes unlocking the phone that much easier since you don't have to "slide to unlock" anymore.

On my previous iPhones I refused to have any sort of password due to the annoyance of having to enter it in 279,456 times per day to use my phone.

Now with Touch ID I can secure my 5s with a complex password (not just 4 numbers) AND unlock my 5s even faster than I could my 4s with no password! =D

Jstuts5797

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2013
Glad you finally are able to experience it! I have trouble using anyone's non Touch ID model now. It's not something I could go without. It makes swipe to unlock feel very old school and clumsy some how.

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
I agree, touch id is great. It is so fast now I forget it is even there. Also wish my rMini had it . . .

jeremysteele

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2011
Would have to agree.

Mine worked perfectly for a few weeks after I got the iPhone in January - then it started acting up and required a redo every few days - and if I had a tiny bit of anything on my fingers (grease, water, etc), it wouldnt work at all.

Not sure what they changed, but it definitely works better now.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Glad you finally are able to experience it! I have trouble using anyone's non Touch ID model now. It's not something I could go without. It makes swipe to unlock feel very old school and clumsy some how.

Swiping to unlock has always worked for me, with out fail. The touch ID has not and even after 7.1, still does NOT.

EDH667

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2009
Northern California
Swiping to unlock has always worked for me, with out fail. The touch ID has not and even after 7.1, still does NOT.

My touch ID had been very frustrating even after 7.1 with it working fine for hours to a day and then fading out. I got so frustrated with having to re-do my prints, that I took my phone to an Apple store. The Genius did a few diagnostics and ended up replacing the phone. It now works nearly flawlessly.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
My touch ID had been very frustrating even after 7.1 with it working fine for hours to a day and then fading out. I got so frustrated with having to re-do my prints, that I took my phone to an Apple store. The Genius did a few diagnostics and ended up replacing the phone. It now works nearly flawlessly.

I have already replaced my phone and found it did not make a difference.:rolleyes:

speed4tu

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2009
I never thought it was that beneficial until I used it for a while. I recently picked up an iphone 5 for 50 bucks (excellent deal btw) and used it for a day to try it out and really missed touch ID!

Jstuts5797

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2013

Cool story, bro. Sorry your having troubles. It has always worked flawless for me from launch day onwards. Sorry about your luck. Swipe to unlock works of course I wasn't saying that it doesn't. Just seems way more clumsy and old school now.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Cool story, bro. Sorry your having troubles. It has always worked flawless for me from launch day onwards. Sorry about your luck. Swipe to unlock works of course I wasn't saying that it doesn't. Just seems way more clumsy and old school now.

Just remember that how one "perceives" is not going to be like others. I prefer sticking with a pass code. What is great is Apple gives us choice!

Oh, and your story is "cool" too.

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
My wife has a 5s and I love the Touch ID, one of the biggest things I'm looking forward to when I get the six later this year. I'm really hoping they add it to the iPad. It's one of the reasons I stuck with my mini and skipped the Retina Mini.

jent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2010
I just wish we could set the phone to use Touch ID but not require an unlock immediately. With Touch ID as Apple currently has it implemented, it's all or nothing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.