Now I'm getting an "Insufficient Content to Edit" message?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by StanleyYelnats, Oct 18, 2009.

1. StanleyYelnats macrumors newbie

I buy a MAC because of all the hype. Manages memory better, etc, etc.............

So, after I purchase the "best" computer, I purchased some of it's software.

Final Cut Express to edit my video.

All I want to do is add a few effects and play them back in real time, but I can't because of "lack of Memory?" or sequence information does not match the information of the clip?

And now, I try to add a transition to two clips that are each almost two minutes long and I get an "Insufficient Content to Edit" message.

The happens because I can't get a "handle" to at least 15 frames in each clip? Each clip is more than 2 minutes and at a minimum of 25 to 30 frames a second I can't get a "handle" to 15 frames?

I simply don't understand?!

Trying to use this software has become a very unproductive endeavor.

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

So, basically, you bought a new computer and software and are complaining because you don't know how to use it. Have you even tried reading the manual? Page 540 of the FCE manual describes handles. It probably took me less time to Google to find the manual and search for the section on handles than it did for you to write your entire post.

Lethal

3. anthemus macrumors regular

anthemus

Just a suggestion. Try one of the mini training sessions at the Apple Store. There you'll have t experts to show you

Handles means that you must have extra footage to perform a transition to the next clip. The next clip must also have extra frames to perform a transition.

Example: 1 second dissolve.

At the end of your first clip trim. Mark the out 30 frames (1 sec) from the end, creating a handle. Your second clip mark in 30 frames (1 sec) from the beginning. Now you have 30 frames = 1 second video for the transition to be performed.

Just try and remember you need overlapping video (handles) to perform transitions between clips.

4. Leddy macrumors regular

The Sequence settings not matching clip settings will create dropped frames too as you're asking media of one type to be played back with settings of something else by the sound of things.

Read the instructions.

5. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

Here ya go mate

A picture's worth a thousand words. A video may be worth even more.

Take time to learn the fundamentals of non-linear editing. FCE is a (cut-down) professional application so it won't hold your hand like iMovie and other consumer-grade editing apps will. Setting up the sequence is step 1.

I had a terrible time coming from iMovie to FCP. Luckily, work paid for training and now it's only my lack of creativity that is a problem.:D

6. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

In fairness to the poster, the Final Cut Express "manual" was useless for me. I bought the FCE4 book "Movie Making For Everyone" which made it understandable.

The Apple store class is a great idea, also.