Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
I've ordered a MBP which should be here today but now I'm considering whether its too extravagant for my needs or not good enough (Ordered the cheapest 15") and should have gone the Black MBP. I want to use it as my main desktop computer (Dont have the extra screen) For Mp3s/photoshop a little/Creating websites in Iweb/Chat/flash etc. Should I stick to my purchase and keep the MBP? Or return it for a black MB. Keep in mind I want to use this as my main computer for the next 2-3 years. Is it a big deal to return it to Apple? what do I do? I really love the MBP but the black MB is nice as well.

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
wow...16 minutes you waited before bumping this thread :rolleyes:

Is a MBP too much computer for what you've just described? Maybe, but probably not. Will a MB do the same for you and last just about as long, yes most likely.

I'd say the MBP is probably "slightly" more future proof than the MB just based on the graphics. But when I say slightly, I'm talking maybe 6-12 months difference before it becomes obsolete.

Take a deep breath, and say "I made the right decision, I will enjoy my computer either way"

Damn, some of you kids get so worked up over your computer purchase, it's a laptop, not a house.

bluetorch18

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2006
If you want the 15" screen, go with the MBP
If you want dedicated graphics, go with the MBP
If you think silver is sexier than black, go with the MBP

If you want better airport range, go with the MB
If you don't play games, go with the MB
If you want a more portability than power, go with the MB

I don't get why you'd be asking here what you should go with. You know the specs and price of each machine, and you know what you want. Base your decision off of that.

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
Because I'm indecisive and I have never procrastinated so much over something so much in my life. Usually I buy it then thats it :D

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
I think the username 'dithers' would suit you better. :p Just kidding. Stay with your MBP choice. It's what you wanted, and it's a good choice.

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
Ok ok I will. Its due to arrive today so that should shut my indecisiveness up :D What a shame its only 6:40am

emptyCup

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2005
viccles said:
I've ordered a MBP which should be here today but now I'm considering whether its too extravagant ... Should I stick to my purchase and keep the MBP? Or return it for a black MB.

You think the MBP is too extravagant but want to pay $150 for a color? Stick with the MBP. Since you want to use it as a desk top machine you will appreciate the extra screen size.

Best wishes.

bep207

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2006
keep the mbp
no chance of buyers remorse. you are getting a better machine
the only remorse you will have is when you open your wallet.
but if its at your door, i dont think i would be able to resist

SuperCompu2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2006
MA
also, think of the fact that the MBP will drive a bigger screen than the MB if you so choose to buy one for a desk.

THX1139

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2006
Aren't you the guy who debated getting a MBP in another thread? You ordered your MBP, then cancelled, then reordered saying you have finally made up your mind. Now your changing it again? WTF!!!

Why are you wasting everyones time? You get great advice and then don't follow it. Are you a Gemini? I heard that Geminis have trouble making decisions, that is if you believe in all that hooey. LOL!!

If you're not the same guy (I'm too lazy to search for the thread), I apologize. It's just that I recognized the avatar.

By the way... keep the damn MBP, you'll love it. :D

After G

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2003
California
I thought viccles was a girl ... ?

But anyway, I'd say keep the MBP. Spending more now means you spend less later, because your computer will fulfill your needs for longer.

count chocula

macrumors 6502a
while i dont think you would regret going with a souped up version of the black macbook (what i did), i would stick with the mbp. you've already ordered it, and you wont regret it.

the nice thing about going with the black macbook is i got a 2.0 core duo/1gb ram/120 gb hdd machine for 500 usd cheaper than the equivalently spec'd mbp. what did i lose out on? screen space and integrated graphics, neither which matter much to me.

if i could've afforded the mbp with the same specs as my macbook, i would have gotten it without a doubt. obviously, you can afford the mbp, so stick with that beautiful machine.

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
Relax and enjoy a great machine.

Hopefully you've saved enough for additional RAM and any primary application
software you plan to use.
Spend a few extra bucks to make sure you have your MBP well protected in a case.

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
Thanks guys I'm sticking with the MBP and yes I'm a girl :D I'm going to put a 1gb stick in it (Dont think there'd be too much difference from 1.5 to 2 would there? hope not)

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2004
viccles said:
Thanks guys I'm sticking with the MBP and yes I'm a girl :D I'm going to put a 1gb stick in it (Dont think there'd be too much difference from 1.5 to 2 would there? hope not)

Buy the macbook and a imac when they are updated. ;)

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
Nah I dont need a desktop computer still have the mini well its going back to mums room (Doesnt mean I cant use it) I'll put the "gasp" PC back on my desk and use the MBP as my main computer

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2003
California
viccles said:

Well - based on this thread so far I would think the memory amount and selection over very carefully. You could add a 1 GB stick to the the stock memory but then they would not be matched. You could add two matched 1 GB sticks to take full advantage of the dual channel memory - costs more money though. You could add a single matched 512 MB stick also. What brand - SAMSUNG, Micron, Hynix, Kingston, ??? Different prices - some used more by Apple than others? Oh - what to do????????

Just having fun ;) Add the 1 GB stick and enjoy your new MBP :)

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
You're going to be more than happy with that MBP.

I'd Buy a 2 GB Ram kit from Datamem.com and sell the factory stock 512MB DIMMs somewhere.

It would be far less confusing if you change your Avatar, although in some ways
I can understand your connection to Ned Flanders :D

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
Just to let everyone know my MBP arrived yesterday put the 1 gb stick in. ITS GREAT

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
viccles said:
Just to let everyone know my MBP arrived yesterday put the 1 gb stick in. ITS GREAT
Congratulations on your new MacBook Pro. I hope you don't get any problems with it.

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
asherman13 said:
Yep. :)

Nice ending tagline in your sig. :p

Well everyone thought I was a guy but I am not :p A quick question since I do not want to start a new thread. My battery has been stuck at 96% for a few hours now (It was at 100% this morning but I got my memory upgraded and I guess he didnt have it plugged in) Will the battery go up to 100% when I turn it off?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.