Now is the time for a native Google contacts app for iOS

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by eprisencc, Jun 4, 2015.

1. eprisencc, Jun 4, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2015

eprisencc macrumors member

We now have a photos app, calendar, mms and phone (hangouts), maps and gps, music player, email, browser, and Google now/voice search app and reminders. Now all we need is the google sanction contacts app. The ideal app would be one that would tie all the other apps together. It should let you open phone numbers, addresses, email, birthdays, sms/mms, and urls with Google's own apps. There is no need for Apple to add default apps if Google opens all the apps in their ecosystem. The contacts app should sync android starred or favorite contacts. It should also have Google contact groups and accept import and export of contacts using vcf files (that includes the contact picture in the vcf file). You should be able to send these vcf files using hangouts or gmail/inbox. All we need is for Google to make this happen. I pretty much use all Google apps anyway on my iPhone 6+ and Android Nexus 6.

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. mchart macrumors member

Pointless since you can just add your gmail under accounts and tell it to sync contacts. No need for a standalone contacts app because of this. Calendar is the same way although I do like the new google calendar app because of how great the default view looks.

3. eprisencc thread starter macrumors member

Far from pointless. A native Google contacts app could provide functionality that a sync never could. Take Google calendars for example, you could not set email alerts with the Apple calendar now you can with the native Google calendar app. Currently by syncing your contacts with Apple's contact app, you cannot access contact groups, starred contacts, and all links and handlers open in Apple apps. Imagine a Google contacts app where phone numbers open in hangouts, addresses in Google maps, email addresses in inbox or gmail, urls in chrome, and sms/mms in hangouts. Because of this there would be no need for Apple to allow third party developers to set there apps as default as long as you stay within the third party ecosystem.

4. reptarwilleatu macrumors regular

reptarwilleatu

i disagree heavily on the point that "there would no need". but in terms of Google completing their ecosystem on iOS as fully as they can, i think that's always in their best interest.

5. campyguy macrumors 68030

I'm not a Google services user but some of my employees are, and we're also wishing for a native contacts app from Google - we have a few Japanese clients and Apple hasn't figured out how to or won't sync the Yomi names and company names (in Google Contacts), and there's a couple dozen other data fields in Google's contact data fields that don't sync to iOS or OS X either. Annoying, that.