Now is the time to buy a late Rev PPC

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MisterEd, Jan 11, 2006.

  1. MisterEd macrumors 6502

    Jan 2, 2006
    #1 my opinion anyway! Prices are going down on these machines, which are still perfectly good and will run all of the new software guaranteed for a few years to come.
    I think a great move would be to buy a cheap, late Rev PPC Mac right now, and ride out the intel transition for a good few months, let them work out bugs, etc. and enjoy your high spec RAMmed up PPC until everything is smooth on the Intel front and you can make the transition yourself :)
    What do you think?
  2. Deepdale macrumors 68000


    May 4, 2005
    New York
    Sound advice ... and made all the more meaningful when it comes straight from the horse's mouth.
  3. Will_reed macrumors 6502


    May 27, 2005
    prices coming down my foot the macbook is the same price as the 15 inch powerbook and the imacs are the same as the imac g5s
  4. MisterEd thread starter macrumors 6502

    Jan 2, 2006
    ok so Apple's prices may not be coming down immediately, but they must do soon - who is going to buy a G5 iMac for the same price as an Intel iMac right now?
    second hand / refurb prices certainly are going to be plummeting, you could pick up a nearly new high spec model for a fraction of the price.
    I dont see why people are worrying about still having a G4, even G5 mac right now when some are still relying on their trusty old G3, which still manages to do many of today's jobs!

    Another reason: Nobody knows what further Intel products will be released this year, and when they will appear. Spending your money on a product line which is nowhere near complete is a big risk in my opinion, I'd rather wait until I can see the whole of Apple's new offerings, and pick the one that suits me best, when everything is settled down a bit :)

    I think many people today forget why they buy a computer. Surely all they need is for it to do the jobs they want it to do? Flashy advertising makes us all believe we need a new MacBook Pro. I bet half the people who end up with one use it to its full potential.
    Thats why my advice is to not dive into the huge gold rush, but sit back, relax and wait for the dust to settle, whilst enjoying your great value PPC Mac :)
  5. jadekitty24 macrumors 65816


    Oct 19, 2005
    The poor section of Connecticut
    I have not seen the price on the ppc's drop. I've been keeping a close eye on the refurb section of the online Apple store as well as the current iBook and Powerbook, no change. I was waiting for the big announcements, hoping the price would drop on the ppc's. Not yet. But being the impatient girl that I am I bit the bullet and ordered a refurb Powerbook 12" combo. Now that I have ordered one we can expect the price to drop $100-$200. It happened the last time I ordered an iBook. I paid $1500, the next week they dropped it to $1300:(
  6. Will_reed macrumors 6502


    May 27, 2005
    True Id rather get myself a quad powermac g5 than a macbook at this point. As much as I want a macbook. Though with the imac I might go with the intel one I dunno I use final cut pro and the rest of those apps so maybe a g5 would be a better idea at the moment as well.
  7. macnvrbck macrumors regular

    Sep 18, 2005
    I am one too also watching the referb prices. The 12' PowerBook Combo has dropped $100 in the last 24 hours. Now at a nifty $1099, down from $1199. Time to buy? I don't know..... should we all continue to hold out?

    Anyone find it cheaper?

    On another note I got a 1.42 80MB Combo Mac Mini at Best Buy yesterday (open box no iLife 05 or DVI>VGA adaptor) for $339 yesterday. I almost feel like taking it back for the $339 and get this Powerbook...


Share This Page