Now, MS Courier looks very much desirable

Discussion in 'iPad' started by agkm800, Jan 27, 2010.

1. agkm800 macrumors 6502a

agkm800

Only if Microsoft can offer my 10 favorite apps, I can be sold on Courier.

Attached Files:

2. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

I haven't heard much of anything about that device since September or so! I completely forgot about it. Any new updates or pricing available?

3. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

Why don't you go post about it on the microsoft rumors forums then?

It is going to have a horrible OS with a horrible interface.

From using an iPhone since it came out, I know the iPad is going to have a good OS with an amazing interface.

4. agkm800 thread starter macrumors 6502a

agkm800

Have fun with iPad.

FYI, Windows7 is a great OS.

5. hss1 macrumors member

Asus has already shown the concept check it out, not sure if it will be same price as ipad as looks expensive

Asus has already shown the concept check it out, not sure if it will be same price as ipad as looks expensive

Also another problem is that intel processor is still power hungry compared to ARM designed chips

==============
    Intel Atom vs ARM Cortex-A9
    posted by David Adams on Thu 7th Jan 2010 21:10 UTC
    Quite a bit of enthusiasm seems to be building for ARM's upcoming processor for netbooks and other lightweight computing devices. The Cortex-A9 is promised to have substantially better performance than the current crop of AMD processors, and a video released by AMD ARM gives a pretty convincing picture that the Cortex-A9 will have comparable performance to the Atom. Watch the video after the jump.
    As an EETimes article points out, "ARM set up both systems to run the same operating system, the same browser and put them on the same high-speed corporate network and checked for responsiveness to the end-user. The Intel-based netbook seemed to beat the development board to display different websites most times, but not by very much. When it is considered that the netbook has a graphics processing unit and the development board does not, that is surprising result. Even more notable is that the Intel-based netbook is running at 1.6-GHz clock frequency the dual-core Cortex-A9 development is running at 500-MHz."

link: http://www.osnews.com/story/22704

As ARM is surely going to keep pointing out to everyone, they don't have to beat Intel's raw performance to make a big splash in this market, because for these kinds of devices, speed isn't everything, and their promised power consumption advantage will surely be a major selling point. Of course, alternative OS fans will be cheering ARM on because Microsoft won't be able to buy their way into the market the easy way with bargain-basement XP licenses like they did with netbooks. Devices based on the Cortex-A9 will likely use the new crop of mobile OSes from Google, Intel, Nokia, etc, not to mention the innovations coming out of unknown upstarts.

Of course, performance is going to be important. The current crop of ARM chips doesn't have quite enough horsepower for a pleasant computing experience on larger mobile devices. But this video is certainly cause for hope that exciting new devices are on the horizon.

6. hugodrax macrumors 6502a

Why would I want something that requires unfolding every time I want to use it. And how long before that hinge wears out.

7. Shabbis macrumors regular

1. Will be heavier than the iPad with those two screens.
    2. Battery life will be terrible having to power both screens.
    3. I am sure MS will use OLED, which will make it pretty much useless in brighter lighting conditions. OLED has proven to not be the promised power miser either based on real world usage (i.e. when lighter images appear on OLED screens, they actually consume quite a bit of power).
    4. Stylus? Seriously? This 1998?
    5. Form factor is very cumbersome (i.e. can't hold it with one hand and use the device with the other).

8. nioted macrumors regular

I've seen the video on the Courier and I was impressed but then I realized that it was a computer generated. There is no way in hell that Microshaft will ever create software that intuitive. Its a nice fantasy, but the software to recreate that concept is years in the making. The only company who can possibly make that happen would be Apple.

9. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

Maybe I'm missing something, but I always saw the courier as a replacement of your agenda/PDA.. not as a portable computer. Take notes, share information, schedule meetings, contact people, etc... not browse the web, play games, use apps.
    I still think the demos they have released look pretty awesome and I'm excited to see what they do with it ... I won't buy it, but it does look - at the very least - interesting.

10. surferfromuk macrumors 65816

Give it 6 months and something like that Courier concept video will be a REAL $5 app on iPad! :D

11. iKennett macrumors 6502

It won't cost 499 but if works as per video it will be very good but not that portable!

12. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

seriously, who needs laptops as well:rolleyes:

13. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

I agree that the courier concept looks great. It unfortunately has one huge flaw. We have no idea if it actually exists. If it does I believe Microsoft have a hit on their hands. But I wont be putting of buying the iPad for a product I don't know exists.

14. bnerd macrumors regular

Microsoft has a huge reputation for putting prototypes out and NEVER releasing the product.

#1 they have to find a hardware company to produce it.

#2 This doesn't use Windows 7 .. it uses a custom OS (so will Windows Fanboys be happy about that?)

#3 This wouldn't cost under $1000 .. It has TWO displays that have to be powered by two separate outputs.

#4 Windows developers aren't as talented as iPhone OS developers so you won't see any great apps for it. It'll just be a GIANT ORGANIZER. <-- :p

15. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

WTF, fanboy much? Microsoft spends 500M in R&D. The courier is an extremely realistic possibility for them.

16. surferfromuk macrumors 65816

Maybe, but Evernote will have all this covered by September.

Secondly, you saw Microsoft's table - Ballmer demo'd it - HP table running Windows - he was really proud of it - pundits said it was going to 'put Apple to shame' - so you've got your kick-ass Windows table already

17. CPD_1 macrumors 6502

The honest to goodness truth is, we will never see Courier the way that video shows it. Which is not to say Microsoft couldn't eventually release a great tablet device, it's just they wont ever release that device. They had months worth of time for people to drool over the video, and the best they had to present at CES was the HP Slate. Microsoft is stuck thinking about tablets in the same way that they have for the last decade. A mouse and keyboard UI doesn't work on touchscreen device.

While Courier looks like a really nice touchscreen UI and productivity suite, it'll be quite some time before we see Microsoft release a tablet with a UI designed from the ground up for touch.

18. Cinemagic macrumors 6502

I want the iPad to succeed. I'm an Aple fan and shareholder so it's in my self serving interest to have this device succeed. But I have done a fair amount of iPad bashing here. It's because I'd like Steve Jobs to take notice and this is the only way I can do it. Steve is a visionary, a genius and extremely stubborn. He wants everyone to conform to his way of thinking. He's not right all the time. Remember Newton? I do.

iPad's lack of Flash means that it cannot view a very large part of the Internet. This gives Windows systems a major advantage. They'll exploit this for sure. Windows 7 is probably the best OS Microsoft has put out to date. It's no Vista, that's for sure. It's still Windows and OSX is still a far superior OS. But for the majority of the population, they don't know Win7 from OSX. They are user experience oriented only. Apple's adds were genius and exploited Vista's weaknesses. Apple share and profit rose tremendously. No Flash on the iPad will let Microsoft do the same thing against Apple. Have the Windows guy open a web page on his Courier and then ask the Mac guy to open the same web page on his iPad. "You mean the iPad won't surf the Internet?" What will the majority of people then buy? Really, Apple shouldn't cripple Safari.

Hinges would be no more of a problem than hinges on a laptop. But no one is going to make a device that is more aesthetically beautiful and compelling than Apple. Some people will buy the iPad for form over function. But unless Apple makes some changes, Netbooks and the upcoming Windows based tablets will be far more functional.

19. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I must admit, M$ has money for R&D and traditionally has had more of it than Apple. Both companies are thinking of how they can enslave us to use only their products all the time for everything including breathing. The main difference is Apple gives some thought to a well thought out pleasurable end to end user experience. M$ seems to devote more thought to how to leverage that bloated code base they've been saddled with since Windows 3.11.

If only M$ would eat the same slice of humble pie Apple ate before OS X. If only Windows ran on top of some sort of Unix. Apple figured out they can create a best in breed user experience and let *nix handle the underpinnings like the journaling filesystem, network stacks, and the like. I read an article where someone examined Windows source code that had leaked. There were thousands of places comments said "ugly hack", but nonetheless the overall quality of the code was good in his opinion. I'm not doubting the quality of the code or the rigor of M$ software development process. I'm questioning the architecture. Dump the registry. Dump the windows kernel. Make all authors rewrite their apps for a unix based windows. The longer M$ waits to take the plunge, the more time they waste propping up decades worth of ugly hacks to keep windows running as it should.

The only advantage I see over the iPad as of this writing is handwriting recognition. There seems to be no way to do that on the iPad and Windows has been doing it for quite some time. The ability to use some sort of stylus for detailed drawings also seems desirable. But when it comes to ease of use, well thought out and well laid out software, I don't want to go anywhere near Windows. I'd take the iPad over the Courier any day.

20. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Exactly why the iPad will be replacing my laptop.

21. Cinemagic macrumors 6502

Let us know how that works out for you.

22. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

The Courier looks great for, uh, taking notes or whatever it's main purpose is. I can't imagine surfing the web, watching videos, etc. on it though. I'd be worried about its Operating System because it most certainly does not run Windows 7, but a custom OS made specifically for the Courier. I'd rather have one big screen instead of two cut in half. Watching movies on it would just be awkward.

But yeah, great for taking notes.

23. nioted macrumors regular

yeah it very realistic may ass!!! Lets see Microsoft's history:

Windows 98, very buggy.
    Windows 98SE, my fave when I stripped it down
    Windows ME, biggest flop of all time!!
    Windows 2000, much better
    Windows XP, how long did it take for this thing to be usable? a year?
    Windows Vista, same crap as XP just a wannabe OSX. It took a year for it to be usable
    Windows7, haven't tried it, don't want to, switched to mac and never looked back.

So in a span of over 10 years, how many operating systems were actually great to use out of the box? And you think the 'Courier CONCEPT' can be done by a company with this track record!?!?!? They spend $500mil on R&D and they come out with Windows ME and Vista, LOL!!!

24. Nebrie macrumors 6502a

Well given that the HP Slate is already a real demoed product and isn't shipping till Christmas time, I'd say that anyone waiting for the Courier is going to be waiting out several generations of the iPad. Here's a pre-Courier demo, but at least it's real. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=049_U-0C9qU