Now no need for Verizon Mifi?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by katyoshi, Mar 10, 2012.

1. katyoshi macrumors 6502

Gee, I just purchased a verizon MiFi Samsung this past xmas. I currently have the AT&T iPad 2, which I haven't used the 3G after about 5 months of buying the iPad. Verizon has better connection at work when I use it for patient care. I'm opting for the Verizon iPad this time since for me, I'd rather have reliable connection that is good enough to look up stuff during work and knowing that I will get fast speeds in LTE areas during trips, etc. Now, I'm wondering from you guys if it would be make more financial and technological sense to cancel that Mifi and use the new iPads hotspot feature with the $50/5GB plan as needed to connect other devices? I'll probably subscribe to that non contract plan with the iPad, but im really hoping its also true the new iPad hotspot feature is no additional charge... So far at work, it seems I use the MiFi for my iPad only.

2. liquidlink macrumors member

Another option I am going to try is I am going to cut my MiFi SIM CARD down to MicroSIM size and get an MicroSIM Adapter that way I can you the newly cut down SIM car in both my iPad and my MiFi. THat gives me the best of both worlds.

3. Ste Nova macrumors 6502

i was gonna get a mifi device for use with windows laptop and car pc, but instead i got iphone4 with hotspot, the hotspot is simple and works and gets lots and lots of abuse :) does chew the battery though...... imho you only need 1 connected device

4. katyoshi thread starter macrumors 6502

Car PC? lol in your Honda S2000? So wait, the new iPad will take a microsim instead of the regular sim that's in the current samsung miff?

5. Ste Nova macrumors 6502

6. bidwalj macrumors 6502a

Thats the best way to go if your mifi is under contract. If your mifi isn't under contract, just cancel that account and go month to month on the iPad.

regardless of what you do, you will be able to use both devices as verizon lets you move your sim around. I plan on cutting my mifi sim as well and using it in the iPad. at the very minimum, you will have a longer lasting mifi (granted its a larger device to carry).

7. St. Germain macrumors 6502

8. theConvinced macrumors member

My 2 cents as I have been using a mifi for 2 years now and have felt the temptation you speak of when the ipads came out. The biggest thing is well the size your mifi now becomes 10 inches vs the convenient 2x3 inches it now is. 2nd for me much like carry a separate ipod or use the iphone. I still have my ipod as battery life is affected to much on the iphone if you use the ipod to much. My days run upwards of 19 hours sometimes between charges so I rather have the added item than having to search for a plug. The tethering feature I used when I JB my iphone sucks way to much power to be effective for me. While the ipad does have a massive battery a 10" mifi. again not effective. Right now I get by with my iphone on my hip and carry an ipad in my bag and a battery case that holds the mifi & spare external charge source just in case though I rarely use it except maybe on weekend trips and stuck in airports. :apple:

9. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Not to put down your idea, but have you actually researched what areas you may be in that actually have functional LTE at the moment?

Only reason I say is that I work in central Wash DC, and while I can get it when at work, that's pointless as I'm on wi-fi, and the minute I hit the suburbs best I'm getting is 3g, which really negates the whole 4g thing. Service is really only as good as it's availability and that availability isn't as robust as a lot of people are thinking.

----------

Dude, someone put the steering wheel on the wrong side!! :)

10. katyoshi thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I'm in Warner Robins, GA for active duty AF. So I'm here mostly, and go to Atlanta sometimes when I want to get to the city life a bit. 4G on my galaxy nexus really drained my battery good... :( I'm leaving my house now to go look around at the mall at Lenox square. Haven't been there before. :) Maybe I'll stick with the external mifi and just get a wifi only new iPad? I'm still under contract with the mifi, but would not mind paying the cancellation fee so I can use the internet on the iPad when ever i need it...still, unsure what would be an ideal route here.

11. Mobster1983 macrumors 6502a

I just cancelled my Verizon mifi this week for that same reason. Since. Got the iPhone 4s (my first iPhone) I have only used it for my iPad, and that maybe once or twice a month since most things I can do on my phone or have wireless access. The $60 a month isn't worth it even though I had unlimited. They throttle it so much it's hard to get above their normal plans now anyways.

12. katyoshi thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah I seem to be barely using my verizon miff only at work...now that we can access so much medical info on UpToDate (a expensive medical resource) at work, I use my iPad for my epocrates subscription and other medical apps (downloaded into my iPad so I don't always need internet access now) since i can't cross transfer subscriptions to my android galaxy nexus phone...maybe its time to make that decision and cancel the mifi? I seem to be updating to the new iPad annually anyway.