Now onto my fourth repair, advice?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Thalin, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Thalin, Sep 11, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2013

Thalin macrumors member

I'm getting a little tired of this, and was hoping someone could shed some light on it.

I purchased my Macbook Pro in mid 2010, and after 4 or 5 months I started to notice red marks on the screen against darker backgrounds, very noticable when photo editing or watching movies. A common problem I see after some internet research. I took it in for repair and they replaced the screen as well as the trackpad which was not responding well.

All was fine then for a while until I started to notice the exact same problem again. Also, the DVD drive was not responding at all. This time I took it into an Albion store, which are an 'Apple certified store' a lot more local to me. They sent it off for repair but refused to fix the screen as they saw nothing wrong with it, although they did fix the drive, or so they said.
    I soon notice the drive still not working, and the screen problem continuing so I took it back into the official Apple store, who again, repair the screen and the drive. However, during the repair they call me and tell me the main circuit board was not fixed in correctly, I think they mentioned something about the cables, so leaving me with the option of replacing the board or simple taping the board in place (they actually gave me this option) I had no choice but to replace the board. My guess is on the second repair the 'unnoficial repair center' botched the job, then sent it back as fixed even though they had done absolutely nothing.

So once again I get the laptop back, and now i'm noticing another screen problem which is not permanent but comes and goes at random. It's what is best described as 'static' appearing around the screen, around the edges of images, text, the desktop etc. I took lots of videos of it the last time it happened because as I said this comes and goes, i'm hoping the Apple guru can watch these. Since replacing the board i'm also noticing a strange wirring sound whenever it boots up, and the drive often kicks out disks while burning, giving me a communication error, although i'm not sure whether this is down to the quality of disks i'm using.

So this is essentially the fourth time i'm heading back to Apple. Surely at this stage i'm entitled to a new machine? I'm from the UK and not entirely sure what the law is here in regard to replacements. Surely the fact that the 'unnoficial Apple store' botched the second repair causing the actual Apple store, who are very good might I add, to replace the whole board, completely out of my hands, comes into play too. My Applecare expires very soon and I need to get this sorted. Advice?

2. leman macrumors 604

Ask them for a replacement. Of course, its a bit tricky with a 2010 machine (after all, you have been using it for 3 years!) but Apple is known for great customer service. I am sure that they will make you a good offer if you design your rhetorics appropriately.

3. Thalin thread starter macrumors member

That is my concern, that i've had it since then. But it's been one problem after another in that time, and the poor service at the 'unofficial repair center' when they didn't replace the main board correctly and sent it back completely unfixed despite claiming it had been must come into question!

4. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

You have nothing to lose by just asking. I actually have a mid 2010 MBP 13" as well. No problems at all. AppleCare ends in November 2013.

Good luck.

5. Thalin thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the advice, i'll definately go in soon. My friend who works in an Apple store across the sea from me says I should have been offered a new one on the third time with the problem, but I wasn't. I'll sort out all the paperwork from each repair and make a case of it.

6. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

out here in India there is no thing as replacements even after you had 3 repairs my late 2011 had 2 logic boards one display a magsafe and a super drive replaced. I asked them for a replacement they said it would not be possible but said they would get me in touch with a customer relationship person who would help me in this. From there i got a replacement shipped from singapore.

7. Thalin, Sep 22, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2013

Thalin thread starter macrumors member

Went in today, the man was very helpful. He offered me the 15" standard MBP as it was the only one with the antiglare and it matched the price I paid for the 'old' machine, but I asked about the Retina 15" model and he agreed I could take that one after he'd ordered it in. Only downside is he couldn't throw the Applecare in as well, considering the amount of petrol and hassle we've spent to take the machine in and collect it every time, but I guess that's understandable.

Is this a good deal? I'm a little annoyed as at the time we chose the 15" Retina because the processor matched the machine I have at the moment, but now I see I have the 2.66 i7 in my 'old' (defunct) machine, but the new machine will have 2.4. Whether or not the guy knew this and didn't say anything, but for some reason we were under the assumption that's what the old machine was running. I'm sure we were looking at all the paperwork and had the system information up on the screen, so I don't know how we were so convinced it was running 2.4ghz. Then again the ram gets doubled from 4gb to 8gb so maybe that's better in the long run.

Loosing the optical drive, don't mind about that at all. Loosing the antiglare, bit of a pain, can you purchase anti-glare protectors of some kind?

I guess the main downside is downgrading from a 17" display to 15".

At the end of the day i've essentially paid £200-£220 (the price of the Applecare) for a new machine, but i'm just a little bothered about downgrading in some areas mentioned above. What do you guys think?

8. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

well i guess you could have added some more $$ and upgraded if you wish. But still you are now happy that you have a spanking new retina what more can beat that?

9. Thalin thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I am happy with the service, and as the guy there said this is an extreme circumstance. I'm just annoyed that I was lead to believe I was having a replacement of the same processor spec, I really don't know how I missed it as we had the system specs up at the time. I may call tomorrow and see if they're able to get the 2.7ghz model in as that's the closest match to my current machine. Worth a shot, but only if they don't charge for it.

10. dinostars macrumors member

Your screen has been upgraded to retina, your RAM has been doubled to 8GB, and the machine is three years newer. It doesn't hurt to ask, but I don't think you should feel entitled to a processor upgrade for free. It looks like you've been given a more than fair replacement to your old machine.

11. Thalin thread starter macrumors member

I completely agree. I hate to sound selfish is any way, as they've gone out of their way to do this much for me and have been great. I just don't want to feel like i'm downgrading in any way. From what i've read though the introduction of the SSD and doubling of the ram more than makes up for it.

12. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

usually the replacement works like if you have a top of the line 15inch of say mid 2010 they will provide you a top of the line 15inch running currently irrespective of processor speed.

But now your case is different you had the 17inch, so they look at the price point like what was its cost and match it to a price point in their current line up. I think you have a 14 day period to replace why not try that and say you want a higher up for which you will pay the difference. One thing I love about apple their replacements carry a new one year warranty:rolleyes:

13. leman macrumors 604

The new 2.4 Ghz CPU (3630QM) is MUCH faster than the old 620M. Its is quad core (as opposed to dual core in your old machine), has higher clocks (dynamic over clock to 3.4 Ghz), more cache, faster RAM and is much more efficient per-clock then the old CPU. Your old CPU gets the single-core score of 2315 in Geekbench compared to 3114 of the new one. So, you really have no reason to complain ;) Frankly, a new MacBook Air with a ultra-low-voltage CPU is faster than your 2010 MBP - both CPU and GPU wise.

14. Thalin thread starter macrumors member

I decided to leave it and just be happy about the replacement, maybe I was sounding a bit too selfish as I know a lot of people don't even get this far, apologies for that. I am very fortunate.
    As posters have already said despite the processor running at a lower spec (2.4ghz instead of 2.66ghz on the older machine) the fact it's a more recent processor and now running a quad core instead of dual, plus the advantage of the SSD, it will be faster anyway. I was tempted to up the ram to 16gb but to be honest the 4gb on my old model ran fairly fast for what I use it for, and I can't justify spending that much extra. Besides I have time to change my mind within the first month so it should all be fine.

15. leman macrumors 604

Its not running at a lower spec, its a higher spec (it also has a higher turbo boost clock!). Be very careful with numbers, they can be misleading.

16. Thalin, Sep 23, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2013

Thalin thread starter macrumors member

Oh right, that must be down to the number of cores increasing? I've done some comparisons of both cores and it seems like the only advantage of the older processor are a higher base frequency obviously, and less power usage. Everything else seems to be better in the new one which is good to hear! I'm assuming the caches are the same values on both, but because of the number of cores it'll total up to more.

Edit: just noticed it has a 6mb level 3 cache compared to 3mb. I can see why people get confused, thinking just because the base frequency is higher, it'll be better overall. Believe it or not I built my own PC years ago, I actually thought I knew my stuff! God how wrong I was!

17. Thalin thread starter macrumors member

I picked it up yesterday, don't get me wrong I am happy that i've got this far and am very thankful toward Apple, but i'm just a little unsure. I posted this in the stickied topic too.

I don't know whether I should keep it sealed and ask to replace it with the new version of the MBP if it's released within the next couple of weeks. Saying that however I would only do that if these new releases are the same price - essentially £1799.99 - I didn't have to pay anything when I picked it up because this was the same price as my 2010 machine and it was a direct swap. I didn't even get any paperwork in the store, it was literally 'take my old one, and here's my new one', which I thought was a little odd?

Then again, I don't even know if the 14 day replacement/refund policy applies to me as it was a replacement machine anyway. And if Apple don't release the new MBPs within 14 days (I picked the replacement up yesterday) then this whole debate is for nothing anyway as it will be out of the 14 day return period! The applecare for my 2010 machine expires on October 4th so i'm wondering whether that's what would be taken into account (as that's the only reason I was able to get a replacement machine) instead of the 14 day return policy - it's confusing as anything I know.

I should have held off by a month or so when I purchased the original 2010 machine so this replacement would be in line with these new machines, but there was no way of knowing back then!

I really don't know what to do :confused: As I said i'm happy that i've got a replacement, but if i'm able to hold off and get the new model, again without paying anything because it will be a replacement, then I will obviously be better off in the long run.

18. FastEddiebags macrumors 6502

I recommend opening it and enjoying your new rMBP.

19. huythanhv2 macrumors regular

Don't get me wrong but it gets ugly when ppl become greedy :)

20. troy14 macrumors 6502a

The only thing I could understand you being upset about is if you we're truly mad about having the 17" anti glare downgrading to a 15" glossy.

You got a brand new, much better
    machine for nothing. They could have fixed your old machine again. You bought a computer, and now you have a much better computer... I don't see why you think you're entitled to the new ones if they come out.

21. Thalin thread starter macrumors member

Ok I apologise for being greedy and as I've said many times I'm very thankful for this, I'm very fortunate. But at the same time because of the hassle I went through with my last machine I want this one to last a long time, and it feels strange getting a new one which is soon to be replaced by a newer machine.
    You can't deny the fact, if you had the choice of the 2013 machine, or the soon to be released machine, for the same price, which in a way is the situation I'm in, you would go for the newer machine! As greedy as that sounds, anyone would agree and you can't deny that!

But yes, I'm sorry, I'm happy, thank you Apple.

22. iDuel macrumors 6502a

iDuel

Honestly, you are going to be better off with the machine they gave you. You probably won't notice the speed boost from the 2013 model unless you do some type of intense graphics work. Plus, you probably won't be able to swap the model anyway because when they look it up, they will see that it was a replacement and not a new purchase.