Now or Later (New MacBook)?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Jenn0482, Feb 5, 2009.

  1. Jenn0482 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2008
    #1
    I am aware of the possibility of a price drop, due to the economy, but beyond that, do you think it's worth it to wait? Does anyone feel there will be improvements made within the next couple months that might make a buyer wish they had waited, or is this not typical with Apple? I have the white 2.4ghz Macbook and while it works well, I'm tired of what I feel to be, a dimly lit screen. I do know people have had a number of problems with the new aluminum model, and I was curious to know if anyone thinks these issues will be resolved shortly. People have been very upset about the continuous lack of SD slot as well as the fact that there is now no firewire port. I've heard complaints about the screen as well. I simply want to "stay away" if it's thought to be a possibility that an "even better" model will be available within the next couple months. It's a large purchase and I certainly don't want to make any mistakes! I'd love your opinions.
    Thanks! :apple:
     
  2. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

    SteveMobs

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2008
    Location:
    Washington D.C.
    #2
    I don't think there will be any hardware upgrades for a while. There will be snow leopard like 6 months from now and maybe, just maybe, a speed bump but nothing big.

    If you want it now, then buy it now.
     
  3. angemon89 macrumors 68000

    angemon89

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2008
    Location:
    The place where Apple designs stuff
    #3
    I know what you mean about the screen. If Apple were to put a MBA screen into the white MacBook, to me it would be the perfect laptop.
     
  4. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

    Patriks7

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2008
    #4
    Unless a small speed bump will make you wish you had waited (and I really mean small. Probably 2.4 -> 2.53 and 2.0 to 2.2 or something) then wait.
     
  5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

    Abstract

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2002
    Location:
    Location Location Location
    #5
    People have been complaining about a lack of a card-reader for many many years now. Do you really think Apple is going to put one in? I don't. ;)

    And they're not going to put FireWire in the Alu MacBook. No chance.


    From what you said above, wouldn't you have to stay away from making any computer purchase?

    I guess they may bump the cpu to 2.2 GHz, and the 2.4 GHz --> 2.5 GHz or something. How about a slightly larger harddisk? I don't really expect more than that......no price drops, no new features.
     

Share This Page