Now or Later?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by davedarave, Dec 24, 2010.

1. davedarave macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I have decided to purchase a new MacBook Pro 15".
    A mate has one and absolutely loves it, and I'm 100% convinced that I want to switch to mac.
    I would like to buy the mac by the summer, as I will be starting college in September.
    The question is simple: When should I buy the mac, as soon as possible or as late as possible?
    I'd like one as soon as possible because I can't wait to upgrade to a mac, but if there's going to be an update soon, I'll be happy to wait.
    What do people suggest I do?

Cheers.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Need it now? Buy it. Don't need it now? check the buyer's guide.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

That's really the only advice you can reasonably expect

There is a Buyer's Guide, but it is only and approximation

There is a big discussion about possible upgrades the first half of 2011 in this thread

But realistically, nobody knows, and as soon as one update comes out, everyone starts the countdown again

If you need/want one now, then buy
    If you can wait, then wait till the next upgrade whenever it might be
    But just know another upgrade is coming

I tend to look at it if there isn't anything imminent, then I buy
    As far as MBP, who knows, but I doubt anything before the Spring

4. davedarave thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, looked at the buyers' guide, and it says that there will be updates soon.
    It says that the update will be released early 2011. Rumors say that the slight change will probably be to AMD/ATI graphics on the higher end model, so this may not affect the model I want (2.4GHz 15"). May just screw it and buy one sooner rather than later.

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Atta boy!!
    Take the plunge!

6. DIMEZ macrumors 6502a

DIMEZ

7. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

8. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

correct me if im wrong, but SB brings in the heat minimizing along side, so the temp wont be as high as current i processors.
    not sure if this is important, but my C2D gets hot and it irritates me A LOT!!

9. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

10. freddy-b macrumors regular

I am in the same position as u.. Iam not sure.. I want to get a 13".. Uuurrggg!! Apple is so fustrating!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapata

11. fortunecookie macrumors regular

fortunecookie

Patience is a virtue that is greatly rewarded ;) then again, you can buy now and sell later once the new and better MBP comes out.

12. freddy-b macrumors regular

Just 1 thing.. Is there Gonna be a conforance for the new MBP or is it just a new product on their website..? Anyday?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. MacGurl111 macrumors 65816

MacGurl111

Just buy it if you need it.. there will always be some kind of upgrades...

14. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

If the current gen suits your needs, then buy now.

15. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

Why buy a laptop before you actually need it? I understand that you WANT one now, but that it seems like you wont actually NEED it until summer. So buy waiting a few months you will be able to get the newer model, with whatever new specs are released. It seems like a new brainer to me to just wait.

But the above advise, which I agree with, I plastered all over these boards: Get one when you need one. There will always be a new model just around the corner.

16. Neolithium macrumors 6502a

Neolithium

Same as above, if you need it now, get it. I doubt the next refresh will include enough changes that users are going to dive on it because they "absolutely" need to have the new hardware specs. Sandy Bridge will be a nice change, but if I got rid of my 2 Macbooks soon, I would still go for the current models because they suit all my needs just fine.

Buying now and selling a few months down the road is a very viable option, Macs hold their resale values very well, which is good news for those who perpetually upgrade their systems. :D

17. Jakedono macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Mate I have decided to wait. Don't want to rush into it because I want to see if the price of SSD drops.