Now or Later?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by davedarave, Dec 24, 2010.

  1. davedarave macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 24, 2010
    #1
    Hi all,

    I have decided to purchase a new MacBook Pro 15".
    A mate has one and absolutely loves it, and I'm 100% convinced that I want to switch to mac.
    I would like to buy the mac by the summer, as I will be starting college in September.
    The question is simple: When should I buy the mac, as soon as possible or as late as possible?
    I'd like one as soon as possible because I can't wait to upgrade to a mac, but if there's going to be an update soon, I'll be happy to wait.
    What do people suggest I do?

    Cheers.
     
  2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

    GoCubsGo

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2005
    #2
    Need it now? Buy it. Don't need it now? check the buyer's guide.
     
  3. MacDawg macrumors P6

    MacDawg

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2004
    Location:
    "Between the Hedges"
    #3
    That's really the only advice you can reasonably expect

    There is a Buyer's Guide, but it is only and approximation

    There is a big discussion about possible upgrades the first half of 2011 in this thread

    But realistically, nobody knows, and as soon as one update comes out, everyone starts the countdown again

    If you need/want one now, then buy
    If you can wait, then wait till the next upgrade whenever it might be
    But just know another upgrade is coming

    I tend to look at it if there isn't anything imminent, then I buy
    As far as MBP, who knows, but I doubt anything before the Spring
     
  4. davedarave thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 24, 2010
    #4
    Thanks, looked at the buyers' guide, and it says that there will be updates soon.
    It says that the update will be released early 2011. Rumors say that the slight change will probably be to AMD/ATI graphics on the higher end model, so this may not affect the model I want (2.4GHz 15"). May just screw it and buy one sooner rather than later.
     
  5. MacDawg macrumors P6

    MacDawg

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2004
    Location:
    "Between the Hedges"
    #5
    Atta boy!!
    Take the plunge!
     
  6. DIMEZ macrumors 6502a

    DIMEZ

    Joined:
    Mar 5, 2009
    Location:
    MD
  7. NickZac macrumors 68000

    NickZac

    Joined:
    Dec 11, 2010
  8. shyam09 macrumors 68000

    shyam09

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2010
    #8
    correct me if im wrong, but SB brings in the heat minimizing along side, so the temp wont be as high as current i processors.
    not sure if this is important, but my C2D gets hot and it irritates me A LOT!!
     
  9. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

    Jaro65

    Joined:
    Mar 27, 2009
    Location:
    Seattle, WA
  10. freddy-b macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2009
    Location:
    Lisbon Portugal
    #10
    I am in the same position as u.. Iam not sure.. I want to get a 13".. Uuurrggg!! Apple is so fustrating!!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapata
     
  11. fortunecookie macrumors regular

    fortunecookie

    Joined:
    Dec 3, 2010
    #11
    Patience is a virtue that is greatly rewarded ;) then again, you can buy now and sell later once the new and better MBP comes out.
     
  12. freddy-b macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2009
    Location:
    Lisbon Portugal
    #12
    Just 1 thing.. Is there Gonna be a conforance for the new MBP or is it just a new product on their website..? Anyday?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
     
  13. MacGurl111 macrumors 65816

    MacGurl111

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2010
    Location:
    Seattle
    #13
    Just buy it if you need it.. there will always be some kind of upgrades...
     
  14. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

    ECUpirate44

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2010
    Location:
    NC
    #14
    If the current gen suits your needs, then buy now.
     
  15. docal97 macrumors 6502a

    docal97

    Joined:
    Jun 28, 2006
    Location:
    Southampton
    #15
    Why buy a laptop before you actually need it? I understand that you WANT one now, but that it seems like you wont actually NEED it until summer. So buy waiting a few months you will be able to get the newer model, with whatever new specs are released. It seems like a new brainer to me to just wait.

    But the above advise, which I agree with, I plastered all over these boards: Get one when you need one. There will always be a new model just around the corner.
     
  16. Neolithium macrumors 6502a

    Neolithium

    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2010
    Location:
    Wherever the army needs me.
    #16
    Same as above, if you need it now, get it. I doubt the next refresh will include enough changes that users are going to dive on it because they "absolutely" need to have the new hardware specs. Sandy Bridge will be a nice change, but if I got rid of my 2 Macbooks soon, I would still go for the current models because they suit all my needs just fine.

    Buying now and selling a few months down the road is a very viable option, Macs hold their resale values very well, which is good news for those who perpetually upgrade their systems. :D
     
  17. Jakedono macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2010
    #17
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

    Mate I have decided to wait. Don't want to rush into it because I want to see if the price of SSD drops.
     

Share This Page