Now or Later?!?!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Smighty24, Aug 2, 2008.

  1. Smighty24 macrumors member

    Jun 23, 2008
    OK guys, I'm sure everyone is going to get annoyed with me for asking this but i'm going to ask it anyway. I plan on getting a new macbook soon.(like next few weeks). So i can have it before school starts. I want to use my student discount and then get a free touch with the promotion that is going on. I plan on selling the ipod touch and get apple care or more memory. My problem is this, should i buy the macbook now and get the free touch or wait until god knows when until the new macbook comes out which will be most likely after the B2S promotion. My one problem is that i don't want to wait and get a machine that has alot of bugs like the first gen macbook had. Does anyone think there are going to be problems like that in the new macbooks? So i want to hear from yall about what i should do. Buy now or buy Later?!?!?!?
  2. MacDawg macrumors Core


    Mar 20, 2004
    "Between the Hedges"
  3. winninganthem macrumors 6502a


    Jun 10, 2008
    If you're that perplexed about it, do what I did and buy now.

    I was nervous about that and over-thought out my decision but I ended up buying my system two weeks ago and that made me very happy.

    I feel that even if Apple updates this Tuesday, I'm very happy with the system that I have.
  4. pattman247 macrumors regular

    Nov 13, 2007
    I would buy it now if I were you, only because you get the security of having much less problems than a new system, and the fact that you get a free touch. The macbook now is really good, since you can upgrade the harddrive and memory easily, its sure to last you a long time. Everyone knows the next one will still have integrated graphics, and the next one after that. Plus, every Apple product is Aluminum now, try thinking different :p
    What I would do if I were you is buy a refurbished Penryn macbook, and you get even better savings, I'm just not sure if you will still be eligible for the touch then.
  5. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

    Jul 24, 2008
    I bought mine (new) last week because I got a great deal. Haven't looked back and very happy.
  6. Aztec macrumors regular

    May 12, 2008
    Why don't you just wait until September 15th, that way you don't have to worry about Apple releasing the MacBook during the B2S promotion. If they don't, then you can just buy the current MacBook.
  7. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000


    Jun 16, 2008
    Get one now you cant go wrong.
    In the long run both the current macbook and the new one are going to be doing the same thing.
    The current one is settled and doesnt have the kinks it use to. On the other hand you are going to have to go through the bugs and what not on the new one macbook.
    Also would you like an aluminum laptop or a glossy white or a flatblack? it all really depends on you,
    I got my new macbook less then a week ago and thought it over.
    The Glossy white is one of the reasons why I got this and i loved my 24" iMac and wanted more of I got the same product....scrunched up in a smaller screen and portable....soo...... hope that helped out a bit

    Also Apple updates to new products everyone 6 when the new one comes out ure gunna be hitting ure head and saying...dang i want the new one?

    If it was always like this then you would never be enjoying what you want because you would never get it because you are waiting for the newer model to come out get it?
  8. weaponofgod macrumors member


    Jul 4, 2008
    Got mine today

    I couldn't wait any longer and bought my Black Macbook today. We are having tax free weekend here in NC and that was the extra push I needed. I was so impatient that I purchased mine from my local Best Buy, instead of Apple Online where I could have bought it thru the EPP store, at a discount. I would have bought it from Apple online, but I didn't know how they would handle the tax free issue and being that Customer Care is closed on the weekend I couldn't call and confirm, so I ran to Best Buy.
  9. NotFound macrumors 6502a


    Nov 30, 2006
    Buy now. Bought mine on Thursday but opted out of the free ipod. Best $1900 I've spent.
  10. RMo macrumors 65816


    Aug 7, 2007
    Iowa, USA
    Just for those who are curious: refurbished models are not elegible for the promotion, only new purchases. (However, the savings with a refurbished model can almost give you a run for the money with the savings you'd get from the free iPod, although with the education discount it's probably a slightly better deal.)
  11. alphaod macrumors Core


    Feb 9, 2008
  12. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000


    Oct 5, 2004
    Depends on if you care about the new features coming out for the macbook. :D
  13. Beric macrumors 68020


    Jan 22, 2008
    Bay Area
    Later for sure.

    Who knows? Apple might even put a dedicated GPU and dump the combo drive on the "low-end" model.
  14. wickedawesome31 macrumors member

    Jun 14, 2008
    I would wait as long as you could for the update. The multi touch trackpad is going to be a great new feature to the macbook... especially when Snow Leopard comes out. People who buy the current models might not be able to use some of the new touch features that Snow Leopard is rumored to bring to the table.
  15. icecap macrumors newbie

    Jul 5, 2008
    just do it... you won't be short changed that great deal even if the new refresh model comes up next week... I gotten mine last week and my only regret was why I didn't get it earlier... it's a rush to set the MB up within days to start of school...

    to be totally assured, you may wanna place your order on a tuesday after knowing the store is not updated... chances are you will have the latest MB at least even for 6 days... think positive.. :)

  16. FuuFuu macrumors regular


    Jul 8, 2008
    i'm not sure if this would work, and i'm a little afraid to post it on the forum considering there are a lot of threads about whether to wait for a new macbook and people will get pissed :cool:

    anyway, buy the macbook a day before sept 15, wait for a 2 weeks, the chances are, the new macbook update will come. check it out, see if you like it. if its possible, return it and get the new mb for 10% restock which is like what $150?. not a bad idea imo.
  17. tom123 macrumors regular


    Apr 9, 2006
    If you need it now, buy it now!

    Waiting after Tue. is a good idea.

Share This Page