Now or Never

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mknapper1, Sep 10, 2009.

1. mknapper1 macrumors newbie

Ok not never, but now that the latest keynote hasn't introduced anything new to the mbp lineup should i be safe to purchase a new computer now or should what be introduced early 2010 really be worth it... this computer has to last me at least 2 years and right now im leaning towards the lowend 15" mbp...

thoughts, oppinions, and criticism appreciated

2. muskett32 macrumors member

I was in your same situation with an iMac decision. Finally decided to order it last night. I now I can sleep well knowing it's on its way. So bottom line, buy it now in my opinion.

3. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

The short answer is - if you need it, buy one now, whereas if you merely want it, then I suggest you wait until the next update (which will probably be in the new year). If finance is an issue, the I suggest that you try to get a refurb, which have all of the advantages of a new model - they come with Apple's warranty, have been individually tested - but merely have different packaging and are not usually the newest model if one has just been introduced.

Yes, significant changes are coming down the tracks, but that is the nature of technology - for such changes are always coming down the tracks, and what is cutting edge today is less so in a few months. The bottom line is that any computer - and every computer - designed by Apple is very good; buy one and enjoy it for now instead of torturing yourself; you can always replace it in a few years time with something more modern.

Cheers and good luck

4. dacreativeguy macrumors 68000

Were you really expecting new MBPs at this event??? They were just refreshed in July and will likely refresh again in January. They've been on a 6 month cycle for a long time. So now you are in the middle.

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It's safe to buy now. We won't see new laptops until early 2010 (MAYBE new 17" with Clarksfield in late '09)

6. googlia macrumors newbie

seeing how computers will always continue to update, are the updates coming next jan/spring going to be significant, like new screen tech. that would increase batt life or anything else that would be worth really waiting for, i've waited for a very long time for a mbp, and now it's finally time to get one. also, i am probably going to get one at best buy, though I do not like giving them money, but purely so I can get their accidental protection plan, any comments on doing this?

7. mknapper1 thread starter macrumors newbie

more hoping than thinking for a refresh, with this being a media themed event i was hoping for blu-ray...O and i do not recommend best-buy at all they have never ever actually honored their overly priced "accidental warranty" for me. Anyway i just ordered the 15" base mbp and i am really really anxious for it to come :):D:)

8. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

welcome to buying technology.

the second you buy your computer it will be outdated.

in less than a year it will be upgraded.

get a nice computer and it will be 'cutting edge' for longer, get the bottom of the barrel, and risk being outdated much much faster.