Now or wait...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Dan.123, May 28, 2009.

  1. Dan.123 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 27, 2009
    #1
    Hey guys,

    I am in a bit of a predicament as I am very close to purchasing a MacBook Pro and avidly waiting its arrival! :( I can order the product next Monday (the 1st) but I am aware that the WWDC is only a few days after. :eek:

    Is it worth waiting for a update to the model baring in mind I will be purchasing the base model of the Pro? (I need to learn the OS and Logic in time for my courses starting in Sept. (Please bare in mind I have only ever used Windows)

    Is it likely that a update at all will happen and what would you do if you were me in my situation?

    Many thanks,

    Dan.123 :apple:
     
  2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

    flopticalcube

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2006
    Location:
    In the velcro closure of America's Hat
    #2
    I would wait. One week won't make a big difference.
     
  3. Dan.123 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 27, 2009
    #3
    The thing is I have been waiting for almost 5months to the day to save up for this beast of a machine. I have no idea how much longer I can wait. :(

    Any ideas to keep me preoccupied? :D
     
  4. macrumorsMaster macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 20, 2008
    #4
    Get it NOW!

    If you die tomorrow, you'll never forgive yourself of not having the experience of having your own Mac :D:apple:
     
  5. Dan.123 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 27, 2009
    #5
    haha! that genuinely made me chuckle. :D

    hopefully i won't die! :D
     
  6. macrumorsMaster macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 20, 2008
    #6
    Go to the Apple store daily with a small, computer powered hd or flash drive and work there:D


    Seriously though, you've waited 5 months, is another couple of weeks going to be that big of a deal?
    Unless you'd miss out on some paying gig, there's no reason to end your waiting prematurely!
     
  7. Dan.123 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 27, 2009
    #7
    Ha. Although I was getting pretty desperate a few weeks back and went to comet and had a little go. :)

    I think I'm having withdrawal symptoms purely from that trip. ;)
     
  8. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

    Unprocessed1

    Joined:
    Jun 23, 2008
    #8
    Just wait it out. Find some other gadget to buy in the meantime. :D
     
  9. FRRYY macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2005
    #9
    i know how you feel.

    The worst part will be the 2-3 days leading up to WWDC.
    The last stretch is always the hardest....


    Just keep reminding yourself how shitttty it will be if you jumped the gun and they released an updated MBP on the 8th.



    I second Unprocessed1's suggestion.
    find another gadget to keep you busy.
     
  10. Boxer757 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 16, 2009
    #10
    So I just wanted to tag on to this thread real quick. I don't mean to hijack, I apologize if that is how this comes off!

    I put in the order online for a new 2.66 15" MBP w/ 320GB 7200RPM HD and the iPod deal. It has not yet gone through and I can still cancel it. The Juniper card went through but I have to call and cancel the hold on my other checking account I used for the rest of the purchase. Should I cancel and wait to see if there is an update at WWDC? Then I could just reorder after whether there is an update or not...

    I financed a certain amount on the juniper card but I am going to pay it, in full, in August, I just need the computer this summer so I went for it, but a couple weeks won't kill me. So please don't flame me for going for the Juniper deal, I know there is alot of gripes about it, but since I will quickly pay it all the way off I'm not worried.


    Will I be charged any kind of cancellation fee from Apple or Juniper?


    Thanks so much for any input. Once again I apologize for the threadjack, I just dont want to be kicking myself on June 8th (my Bday by the way haha)...
     
  11. Dan.123 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 27, 2009
    #11
    Very good suggestions guys! Thanks! ;)

    As far as other gadgets go. I'm afraid I'm a poor (soon to be :apple:) student with as much technology as the average grand-dad hence no new shiny things to play with, yet. ;)

    This wait will be too hard, DON'T DISAPPOINT ME MR JOBS. :p
     
  12. LAS.mac macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 6, 2009
    Location:
    Mexico
    #12
    Just wait one more week.
    I'd expect a speed bump for the entry level MBP, at no price increment.
    So, it should be worth wait...
     
  13. Burning Radio macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2009
    #13
    Haha. Me and you both, OP! I'm waiting it out I suppose. I'd be geeked if they updated the MB/MBP next week before WWDC!! Oh man, I'd be the first in line. It's so enticing when you have the money finally and then you have to wait for another week when the only thing you can think of is "Man, I could go out and buy my Macbook now!". It's gonna be like Christmas.....except better!
     
  14. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2009
    Location:
    Australia
    #14
    WWDC is just 9 days away. Wait until after WWDC. :D
     
  15. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

    Bill Gates

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2006
    Location:
    127.0.0.1
    #15
    You've waited almost 5 months and you're afraid to wait just a few more days? It's all for nothing if you buy now and they update the MBP at WWDC. Have patience. I was in a similar situation to the one you are in, waiting for the Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro to be released. I ended up borrowing an old laptop from a family member while I waited since I didn't want to buy the current at-that-time Core Duo MBP.
     
  16. Eanair macrumors 6502

    Eanair

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2009
    #16
    WWDC is sooooo close.

    If you can make it, I would wait.

    I know, it's easy to say.

    I waited several agonizing days to see if the new iMacs would be released. I was right, and it paid off in the end! :D
     
  17. dsnort macrumors 68000

    dsnort

    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2006
    Location:
    In persona non grata
    #17
    I hate to break this to you, but no matter when you buy, an update will occur within 1-2 weeks, and you'll be screwed with a machine that is 1/1000 slower than what you might have gotten. You will live your life in an unending misery of "What might have been if only I'd had that 1/1000ths of a second faster processing time!" You might have become famous, cured cancer, slept with Jessica Alba, if only you had waited.

    Ooorrrr, conversely, you might find that if you had had a computer sooner, you might have become famous, cured cancer, slept with Jessica Alba, if only you had acted sooner!

    Hope this helps! :rolleyes:
     
  18. miles01110 macrumors Core

    miles01110

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2006
    Location:
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    #18
    While you're waiting, why don't you educate yourself on things such as:

    -Battery capacity/how to calibrate it
    -Applications you can download/"Top Apps"
    -AppleCare and how it works

    ...so you don't have to come back here and start another thread on any of these topics.
     

Share This Page