now someone just needs to sell a thunderbolt laptop dock

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pesos, Feb 24, 2011.

1. pesos macrumors 6502a

pesos

As soon as someone puts out a decently priced thunderbolt dock (multiple usb, displayport, maybe dual link dvi) I will be replacing my desktop with a 17" mbp.

One cable docking ftw!

2. Relznuk macrumors 6502

Relznuk

I completely agree - I am awaiting this with more than a small amount of anticipation.

3. m85476585 macrumors 65816

You still need two cables- power and LP. Then you need to have another controller for each peripheral (USB, Firewire, ethernet, audio, etc) on the LP bus because it's just a dumb PCI-e bus, which will be expensive and could cause issues with your mac not having great drivers for that hardware.

4. Relznuk macrumors 6502

Relznuk

Why couldn't such a device be powered by the LP bus? Further, why couldn't a hub function similar to one of the current BookEndz or Henge docks, connect up to all of your MacBook's ports, and power itself that way? It'd be like an unpowered USB hub, only the light peak outputs significantly more power, so perhaps external power wouldn't be necessary?

5. m85476585 macrumors 65816

No, I mean power the laptop. I assume if it's docked you also want to plug it in.

6. Relznuk macrumors 6502

Relznuk

How do the current set of ducks work? Do they accept MagSafe, or is it magsafe into the computer, which powers the dock? Plus, why would a light peak cable be necessary - they could simply built in physically onto the dock, no?

7. rmitchell248 macrumors 6502

Shoot I bet you guys will take anything yiu can sick in the thunderbolt connection at this point. So far its just a MDP port with a lightinig bolt. We don't eben know if it does anything lol.