Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 6, 2010
New York
So since the announcement of the new iPad mini retina, only the 16GB original mini is available, and not in higher capacities.

I have a 32GB mini and the light sensor seems to be no longer functioning. I did tech support with Apple and determined it wasn't software and to take it to a Genius. When I finally get around to going to the Apple store (not sure when I can, and I still have 6 months left on my built-in Applecare), what do they typically do if they no longer sell that model (and also assuming that refurb warranty backstock has been depleted) and yours needs to be replaced? Do they give you a credit, or do they typically just give you one of the newer gen to replace it?

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
There will be a stock of refurbs for replacement.

But, I hadn't noticed the 32gb was discontinued - now i'm even happier that i was able to do the Target swap for it yesterday (traded in the iPad1). They need the 32gb more than they need the retina at this point!

herdnerfer

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2011
Saint louis, MO
Trust me they will have one to swap it out with, I took my iPad 3 in just last weekend & they still had those in stock to swap out with my faulty one.

On the plus side, I managed to sell the new one on eBay for $350 :)

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
They'll have replacements for you for many years to come. You can still get the first generation iPhone and iPad replaced. ;)

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 6, 2010
New York
Cool. Thanks for the replies everyone. The only Genius warranty replacement experience I've had is an iPod classic back in 2010, and they didn't have a replacement in stock, but they did order one. Took a few days to come in.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Do they really still offer replacements for the original iPhone?? Man I wish I had one still!
Lol, I still have mine. The new iPhones looks much more stylish but, I have to say, the curves on the original and 3G/3GS models just feel better in my hand. :eek:

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Do they really still offer replacements for the original iPhone?? Man I wish I had one still!

Yeah I had one few months ago where a friend decided to play with mine and dropped it, breaking the screen.

A visit to the Apple Store and $110 in hand (from friend), I was able to get a replacement. The replacement did have to be ordered from Apple and took about two days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.