Now that Bootcamp Beta doesn't work, how to uninstall windows xp?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Hot Orange, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Hot Orange macrumors newbie

I can't believe they did this! I want to remove Windows XP from my Macbook and merge the partition with the normal one for Mac OS X! Please tell me I can still do this even though Bootcamp no longer works?

:( :( :(

2. glennyboiwpg macrumors 6502

3. Hot Orange thread starter macrumors newbie

!@#$!! I can't believe this!! Please guys I'm sure there's another way (through a 3rd party application or something) that will let me manage partitions and completely eradicate the one with windows and help it become an active member of the Mac HD society?

:eek:

4. amtctt macrumors regular

5. Hot Orange thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I did not even know that they were going to stop it until I tried just now to remove windows. Bootcamp assistant simply won't run and it gives you the message saying it has expired!

6. amtctt macrumors regular

Hmm, i'm still able to re-boot into Windows. I know Leopard makes it easy to re-partition. :D But of course if you have Leopard, probalby don't need to get rid of XP.

7. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

THEY did say it was going to expire and even on the download page it was stated it would expire once leopard was released. I hate to say it but you can't claim ignorant on this one. They clearly marked it out.

When you download it it told you it would expire. To remove it from a Tiger system is a bit tricky since Tiger does not support dynamic partitioning from within the OS. Partition manager or something similar might help there.

8. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

The only way to get rid of Windows now is to boot into your software restore DVD, use disk utility and perform a clean install of the operating system.

9. Hot Orange thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the answers everyone! I'm willing to go ahead with the system restore method after backing up my data, so I hope it works!

Even if they did say it will expire, they should have left a way to at least remove the partition, considering I can still run Windows XP normally (but can't remove it).

10. glennyboiwpg macrumors 6502

11. Hot Orange thread starter macrumors newbie

Well the thing is I plan to sell my Macbook, and then prolly get a Macbook Pro with Leopard when it's available from Amazon (or is it now?). So need to prepare the machine for the buyer.

12. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

So just do a reinstall of the entire OS. That way you don't have to worry about passwords and such getting into the hands of your buyer.

13. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

What's your system date set to? It's not supposed to expire until after 1/1/08.

14. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

that is what I was wondering about too...
    the 1.4 version was supposed to be valid till that date.
    I think if you still have the 1.3 version then you might be out of luck because I think that version really got disabled a while ago.

15. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

1.4 is here :)

16. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

NONONONONO!!!! just reset your date and time to like june 2007 or something. then you can. thats what i had to do

if you do this it will become unexpired and you can remove the partition without having to do a clean install.

an install should be THE LAST piece of advice ever listed. comeon people

17. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

You can only get 1.2 that way. Not 1.4.

I have no idea if this is possible, but have you tried manually setting your computer clock back to before the Beta expired?

EDIT: ah, apparently that is possible.

18. Hot Orange thread starter macrumors newbie

Great advice everyone, thanks! I'll try the time reset idea just for fun, but then I think I'll just re-install the OS to prepare the machine to be sold.

Thanks! While I'm at it (I know this is the wrong place to ask but...). Will the Leopard-ready Macbook Pro be available at Amazon anytime soon? I don't think they sell it now :).

19. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

cant you just set the date on your mac back by a bit?

20. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

yup

nice avatar by the way!

21. phuong macrumors 6502a

reseting date back in June won't work. it happened to me.

22. Hot Orange thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually setting back to june worked for me! I had 1.2 apparently. Now reinstalling Mac Os X. Thanks everyone. Didn't think it would be that simple :p.

23. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

24. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

did you use 2007 or 2008 as the year lol

25. phuong macrumors 6502a

hmm, either that, or i forgot to deselect the internet time sync thingy.