now that i got my imac, how do i transfer everything over?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by acrahm, Jul 2, 2010.

1. acrahm macrumors regular

i got my 27' imac and im unsure how to transfer everything over from my mac mini and MBP. how can i basically transfer everything over so i have all the same applications, files etc?

2. CraigB3 macrumors member

If you go into your utilities folder you'll find a programme called migration assistant.
    It's pretty simple and takes you through step by step.

3. opera57 macrumors 6502

Yeah migration assistant will do the job. If you have a time machine backup from your other machines you can connect the drive to your new iMac and migration assistant will allow you to transfer your files/apps across from that too! [​IMG]

4. aki macrumors 6502a

Migration Assistant is great because it's simple. It's also terrible because it's simple.

Which is to say, if your previous mac/s are all "gunked up" with old apps, pref files, and whatnots, you may decide to take advantage of the opportunity to set up a clean machine.

Unfortunately, Migration A doesn't provide sufficient granularity for this.

If you want to move things over "by hand" you can with a bit of googling find information on how to safely transfer things like your keychain, address book, ical, itunes, safari and other "core data".

I did this recently when upgrading to an iMac 27" and although there was a degree of time involved I like knowing I have a mac free from accreted detritus. (I kept a timemachine copy of the prev machine's HD so if I down the road realize I forgot to migrate/move over something vital I can always go back and get it.)

Migration A is definitely less hassle though.

Good luck!