Now that it's affordable, best way to sign up?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thedudeAbides, Sep 6, 2007.

1. thedudeAbides macrumors member

Hi,

Do any of you know the best financial way to sign up with at&t as a new user, get a free phone, sell the phone, and upgrade the plan to the iphone? i want to get a family plan with 2 iphones.

what free phone should i get to get the best resale value?

sell on craigslist or ebay?

if i want a family iphone plan (2 phones) should i sign up for a family plan to upgrade with 2 free phones?

do i have to active the free phones, or can i leave them all boxed up brand new and still upgrade to the iphone plan?

thanks.

2. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Doesn't matter if you sign the iPhone up first or another phone from AT&T if you sign a contract, as the iPhone doesn't take away your discounted phone price.

I had been with AT&T since they were, well AT&T, and my contract was up July. I bought an iPhone, upgraded my account on release day, then 2 weeks later ordered a discounted phone from cingular.

That said, I bought a treo 750 for 149.99 after rebate. It was refurbished. I sold it for 325, so it made 175, taking a good chunk out of the 600 I paid for the iPhone.

I suggest going refurbished and spending more. The treo 750 or the Cingular 8525 are good bets that will sell for over 300 online. Only thing is that the price for these new include a rebate for a pda data plan, which you won't use and can't get the rebate for. So go refurbished and then sell it, no rebate and they are dang cheap.

Good luck.

3. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

I would try craigslist first, as ebay will charge fees and then paypal as well.

You don't have to "activate" it, but it comes with a Sim Card that will work in it.

If you want, you can get a backup phone for when you don't want to carry the iPhone, but thats your thing. I bought a pay as you go nokia for 10 bucks shipped, with a car charger and leather case. Just plop in my sim card and I don't have to use my iPhone.

4. thedudeAbides thread starter macrumors member

5. njpodder macrumors regular

So this works? I called today and asked about it, and the ATT rep said that signing a new contract for the iPhone will fulfill my upgrade discount, and I would not be eligilbe for another upgrade until close to when my 2 year contract is up. I am currently due for an upgrade now, but would like to buy the iPhone and then have them send me one of the free phones.

6. aerospace macrumors 6502a

go to an att store that sells iphones and get a different phone with your contract extension first, then when thier done and ask if you want anything else, tell em to toss in an iphone :p

7. Goldenbear macrumors regular

So are you saying that you are a current ATT customer? If so, the ATT rep you spoke to is wrong.

My contract was up in January, but I never upgraded. All 3 lines on my Family Plan show as being eligible for a phone upgrade, including the line with the iPhone (I just checked to make sure).