Now that it's jailbroken, please help us lower the brightness!

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by WilliamG, May 9, 2010.

1. WilliamG macrumors G3

I can't be the only one who wants the lower brightness as attainable in iBooks. For whatever reason, Apple allows you to lower the it in iBooks much lower than the Settings menu does.

Has anyone figured out how to use that setting? At night I find the current lowest brightness positively blinding!

2. DKatri macrumors 6502

3. Mitchrapp macrumors 6502a

I must be getting old. I need the brightness to see. All the way up baby.

4. WilliamG thread starter macrumors G3

iBooks lets you lower the brightness beyond what you can do in the normal settings menu, but ONLY for that app. You quit the app and the brightness goes back up. :( And auto-brightness is strangely useless on the iPad. I really want a lower brightness! With the lights off in bed, it blinds me! :(

5. thejakill macrumors 6502

thejakill

6. nsorrelle macrumors member

7. Chrysaor macrumors 6502

Current setting is bugged, doubt apple will release an update before 4.0 though.

8. demiurgical macrumors member

glad I'm not the only one noticing this issue. It's way too bright at lowest brightness setting especially for such a large screen!

9. Simgar988 macrumors 65816

Simgar988

10. Diversion macrumors 6502a

Diversion

Are we sure iBook app isn't just lowering the apps brightness and not the actual led lights of the iPad? It appears that way to me anyways.

11. derryquinn macrumors 6502

derryquinn

Lowering the brightness like in iBooks is an API that's coming in 4.0 (It was shown on a slide at the iPhone OS 4.0 event) so you should be able to do it in apps that implement it then, that might mean it could be a system-wide setting then...:confused:

12. andrew upstairs macrumors 6502

I hope so. I agree that it's way too bright on the lowest setting.

13. lokerd macrumors 6502a

lokerd

Agreed...although not to bad for me...it is keeping my wife up.

14. lokerd macrumors 6502a

lokerd

Possible solution! Insta-Cling Tint

Ok...pretty excited to try this solution.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EBKG9A...e=asn&creative=380341&creativeASIN=B000EBKG9A

I happened to have some 35% VLT Medium Dark Charcoal Grey Tint left over from a project from a while ago. And I have just cut out a sheet to match the size of the iPad and it lays down quickly and easily.

I will try it out tonight, but it looks promising. There does not appear to be any loss of touch. The only problem I see is that unless I push it down, there are a lot of "bubbles" where it is not pressed ALL the way down...but still perfectly responsive. It shows on light screens...but not so much on a dark sceen. Also, the tint is...well...about like my iTouch with a shield on it...not as easy to slide.

But, this is going to work a LOT better than keeping my head and iPad under the sheet...or put a sheet over the top of the iPad, etc.

15. debudebu macrumors regular

I went so far as to buy some super lightweight wrap-around gun range glasses. Cuts down glare too.

16. joelypolly macrumors 6502

You are correct I think. It feels like they actually just darken the book and everything else without actually lowering the LEDs powering the screen.

17. stordoff macrumors regular

I doubt this to be honest. If you pull up SBSettings whilst on the minimum iBooks brightness, it is also dimmed to the same level.

18. Paulio macrumors newbie

It's actually a contrast overlay, take a screenshot in iBooks with the lowest setting, when you open it in photos, it's noticeably a lot darker. Also, if you bring up the magnifying glass for text selection, this appears very bright compared to the rest of the screen.
    I agree though, should be able to use it system wide, the screen is very bright.

19. WilliamG thread starter macrumors G3

I'd kill for someone to make an app to make this system wide. For serious.