Now that MP3 is dead....

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by tonyr6, May 16, 2017.

1. tonyr6 macrumors 65816

tonyr6

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

MP3 isn't dead for bread's sake, it's now patent free so you don't need a licence for it. If anything it's more alive than ever because of this. A universally accepted format is now patent free.

With regards to MP3 sound quality, well, at 320kbps it's honestly tolerable. The perceived quality depends a lot on what you listen to; whether it's compressed music or hugely dynamic orchestral pieces. It also depends on what equipment you use to listen to it. Quality is in the ears of the beholder.

A lot of the MP3s you listen to on streaming services won't really do the MP3 name justice. Plus if I had to pick between the two, I personally much prefer AAC. However I'd wager you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between MP3 320 and AAC 256, providing they were exported and converted appropriately from the source.

3. Rigby macrumors 601

When did Amazon switch to AAC? According to their support page they still sell their music in MP3 format:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201379550

At higher bitrates a well-encoded MP3 can sound just as good as a well-encoded AAC. AAC mainly shows its advantages at lower bitrates.