Now that people have 3GS - Voice Control and Bluetooth

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Felder71, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Felder71 macrumors member

Can anyone tell me if you can access Voice Control through a Bluetooth headset by pushing the Bluetooth button on the headset? Or do you have to hold the Home button on the iPhone itself? Most normal phones support this and it's perfect for driving while keeping the phone in your pocket. But I haven't been able to get a definitive answer yet. Thanks in advance for the info.

2. Vandam500 macrumors 68000

Vandam500

I also want to know this! Also, does Voice Control work on the lockscreen?!

3. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

Voice Control does not work with Bluetooth. (See: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3597) It does work with the button on the standard headphones though.

Yes it does! Just tried it!

4. AbjectEvolution macrumors 6502

Could you give us a full run down of how you use the voice control on the phone and also the headphones?

Do you think Apple will release their own Bluetooth headphones that work with voice control?

5. justflie macrumors 6502a

justflie

Well that's a shame. I hope they figure out how to do that/implement it. :(

6. Felder71 thread starter macrumors member

Wow, talk about dropping the ball completely. You can't even push the button on the iPhone and talk into the BT headset? Voice dialing is key for me and my Samsung M520 ($99 flip phone) does this, but not the iPhone 3GS or Palm Pre? Sounds like I'm stuck getting a Blackberry if I want a smartphone that'll do this. Very disappointing.

P.S. - Windows Mobile does voice dialing too, but I hesitate to call any of those phones "smart".

7. tivoboy macrumors 68030

design

I think this is by design, since the BT headset usually go into a standby mode, then are essentially not taking commands.

I think one would have to initiate a call with the headset, get a connection to the phone, then hit home, then talk through the headset.

I'll try it later today.

p.s. I don't think apple is going to come out with a new headset, not enough market, margin or competitive advantage for them to go down that path

8. trevreyno macrumors member

bring on the new :apple: bluetooth headset-i bet theres one just around the corner..........;)

9. Romanesq macrumors 6502a

Romanesq

yup....

That's the word on the street. They'll be out with controllers via BT soon. :cool:

10. Felder71 thread starter macrumors member

The fact of the matter is that I have a 3 year old cheap flip phone that I can push the BlueTooth button on my headset, have it ask me for a command, and say the command, without touching the phone at all. In fact, if it's uncertain what I said, it will rattle off some possible choices and ask me to respond yes or no. The fact that a 3rd generation iPhone (or Pre for that matter) can't do that is just silly.