now that the 16 gb is out...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by waterskier2007, Feb 5, 2008.

1. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

now apple has to wait a while to release 3g version

thoughts

2. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

3. waterskier2007 thread starter macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

which is when

4. rayward macrumors 65816

Nope. I think they could release a 3G phone whenever it's ready. I don't think they're ready, so your question is moot.

5. waterskier2007 thread starter macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

but just think how many people would be screwed over if they bought a 16 gb one and then apple released a 3g version in a little while

6. rayward macrumors 65816

Apple does this all the time. According to David Letterman, Obama will make this illegal if he becomes President.

It's progress. I'd rather it happen faster than be artificially slowed down as a marketing strategy.

7. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I along with many other folks would love to know the answer to that question!

8. waterskier2007 thread starter macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

i think that apple puts enough time between their releases, which is why im saying we will have to wait longer than originally expected for a 3g model

9. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

wouldn't they need FCC approval, with a public disclosure of their plans?

10. rayward macrumors 65816

I understand what you're saying, and why Apple do these things, but I wish they wouldn't. I bought on iDay, and wasn't mad at Apple for the price break a couple of months later. I was happy to get my refund, but it wasn't an issue for me. I'm also a shareholder, so I have a vested interest in Apple fixing a marketing faux pas (4GB too small, 8GB too expensive) as quickly as possible.

However, if they simply upgraded as fast as they could, making such changes essentially random events, they'd avoid giving those caught buying on the cusp of a change the sense that they were conspired against. It's the fact that upgrades are typically planned to maximise consumer demand that ticks people off when they miss out because of it.

11. mr.stinki macrumors 6502

Well, it won't matter to me, i got my iphone on september, I plan to keep it 'till march '09 (prolly get a new one for my birthday)

12. jbellanca macrumors 6502

Um, you know he was joking with that statement, right?

13. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

Always been a fact that a 3G iPhone was going to be later rather than sooner - and Apple have hinted at this all along.

Can't see it before September 2008. If it is not out then, Apple are probably going to hold off until around February 2009 (based on observation of their general pattern of operation).

All of which is why a bought my iPhone back in November - safe in the knowledge that apart from the inevitable memory boost (which we just got - I was expecting them to hold off a month or two longer though), there were going to be no significant physical changes to the thing for quite some time.

14. waterskier2007 thread starter macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

yeah i know

15. BWhaler macrumors 68020

BWhaler

June or September for the big announcement of the 3G phone.

My best guess given the events so far this year:

MacBook Pros in June
    Macbooks are a silent spec-only upgrade in September
    iPods + iPhone in big event in September

WWDC is going to be about the new gesture interface and the SDK with a "very early preview" of functionality coming in 10.6. Apple won't call refer to 10.6, but that's when the crazy new features are coming. (with the next ilife and iwork)

Finally, don't forget that 10.5 was the first time we had 3D effects from Apple is a pronounced way. Yes, they were cosmetic, but "stay tuned for something grand" is my prediction.

Of course, this is just my wild guess. So far, Apple has been very unpredictable this year, so who knows.

Let's 2008 is a blast with Apple announcements.

16. Jphillippe macrumors regular

Jphillippe

no i think the macbook pro update is coming soon, with the iphone SDK.

17. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

18. JohngPR macrumors newbie

Naturally I buy an iPhone and a month later they come out with a superior version. :p

It hardly matters anyway. $500 bucks is too steep for me anyway so I feel good about buying my iPhone when I did. :)

19. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Yes which takes about 6 months. Unless they release it first outside the U.S. which is unlikely.