NOw that the dust has settled, would you...

PCM

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2005
117
0
...buy a dual 2.5 g5 for 1750?

I need something powerful, am VERY worried about the longevity of these machines and don't think apple has done much to alleviate current users concerns...

I've been following the threads closely (specifically "Guys, calm down about Intel, keep buying PowerPC Macs"), and have watched the keynote, but still find myself confused as to how this all translates for the next 2 years as far as PPC architecture is concerned. Mostly, I'd like Adobe and Digidesign to keep their game up on this stuff...it seems to me like g5 DP optmization would be low on the list of concerns with this processor swing.... the reason I am emphasizing third party programs with this thread is that digidesign has not yet even optimized pro tools to run with dual processors- so what's the point now, right?> Or am i missing something...?

Either way, anyone who HAS been able to keep up with the whirlwind of information please weigh in...it's been too technical and too much for me to absorb....
 

macbaseball

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2005
988
0
Northern California
PCM said:
...buy a dual 2.5 g5 for 1750?
Where can you get a DP 2.5 G5 for 1,750. I would buy one in a second.

But to answer your question, I think that machine will be good for 2.5 to 3 years of Indesign and video editing, and then I think it would be better to get a Intel. IMO, you probably have another year to a year and a half after that 3 year window, before the machine gets too far behind in technology.
 

PCM

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2005
117
0
macbaseball said:
Where can you get a DP 2.5 G5 for 1,750. I would buy one in a second.
my friend works at an apple reseller and that's their new minimum...

Well, thanks for the reply...I'd like to get some more mileage out of it, but only 1750 and it's hard to say no...

either way, by that point, my powerbook will be pretty old and hopefully the new powerbooks will be smoking by that point...i think it's possible they just might be....
 

SRSound

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2005
489
0
Don't worry as far as Digidesign goes: Once they finally release a compatibility update for the Mactels, you'll be ready for a new computer. STILL waiting for tiger compatibility with LE 6.9
 

HasanDaddy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
582
0
Los Angeles
that's an AWESOME deal for that computer

you'll probably be able to sell it for around $1400 anyways, once the MacTel versions come out

If you need the power soon, then that is a GREAT price
 

iJaz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2004
540
0
Buy it!
If the programs you want to use with the DP 2.5GHz work fine now then they will work fine in 5 years also. However, it is not sure that new vesions that come out in 3-5 years will be optimized for the DP 2.5GHz, but I guess you'll want a new computer by then anyway. Also, I don't think it is crucial to always have the latest versions of all programs, but if that's what you think, well then you're in a different position.